Rectoverb retubed and strange noise help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwnc

Reaction score
Hi,

I just replaced V1 and V2 with Tung Sol 12ax7 reissue and on V3 a JJ ECC803S. Here is what I noticed.. the sound is way better.. the cleans are punchier and the overdrive is alittle smoother and not as jagged BUT...

Even on the clean channel I get alot of flutter and random swoshing sound. The dirty channel even when the gain is not that high is even worse. I am wondering how noisey these tubes are normally. Has anyone put these tubes in and have you noticed any more tube noise?

Thanks
Jason

Perhaps you bumped against the reverb tank. The contacts of the reverb tank are quite noisy. When the noise stops when switching off the reverb then indeed this is the case. Just twist a bit with the contact and the problem is solved.

Hi, thanks.. but the reverb is completely off. I tested the tubes in another amp and they also do the same thing just not quite as bad as in my recto.

Jason

Is the preamp section the same as DR/TR? If so, the best spot for the 803 would be V1...long-plate tubes have a tendency to get microphonic, and the gain stages are not where you want to put them.

I figured it out.. I had to put the Tung sol balanced in v1, and the regular tung sol in v2.. once I did this noise went away..

Jason

Latest posts

Back