recto cab vs. orange cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alagow

Reaction score
I have a recto 2x12 cab and i'm looking for another 2x12 to go with it--maybe an Orange. I've heard good things about them. Anyone familiar with both cabs and how they compare to each other?

I've only used the 4x12s, so my opinion might not be valid for 2x12s.

The Mesa Recto Std (oversized) cab is the bigger sounding cab. It's also 10 to 20 pounds heavier and physically alot bigger. I think it's 13 ply birch but I could be wrong. Soundwise the Recto cab has a deeper bottom end. It sounds lower tuned in frequency and is overall more bassy than the Orange. It's a little bit slower in terms of reaction and when driven hard it imparts some of the "Recto sag" onto any amp you plug into it (the bottom end doesn't track your playing as fast but when it hits it hits big and it hits solid).

The Orange cab is a little less 'big' and a little more 'focused' sounding. It still has alot of bottom end but I doesn't sound as deep (probably due to the cab's smaller size). The bottom end tracks tighter and gives a faster, punchier feel to muted chords....though it doesn't kick quite as hard.

Both cabs have the strong midrange and top end typical of Vintage 30s. Most of the differences that I've noticed have been in their reaction times and how the bottom end behaves. The Recto being a touch deeper and slower will give you a bigger, thumpier overall sound and the Orange being a touch less deep and faster but will give you a more focused and punchier overall sound.

They're both made from quality parts. They both have metal carry handles. Orange uses metal corner caps whereas Mesa uses hard leather. The Mesa comes with detachable wheels and rubber feet, the Orange comes with two wooden sliders. The tolex on the Mesa is alot higher in quality. Orange uses plastic jacks and jack plate whereas Mesa uses metal.

I'd have a hard time saying either one is better than the other as they're both good, just different.

Both the Mesa and Orange cabs sound like crap until broken in (ie, in the store).

Are there any other 2x12 cabs you'd suggest trying with the recto? Maybe genz benz?

Back