Rectifier and Hearing Damage

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triple rectumfrier

Reaction score
two words. Ear. Plugs. I used to leave band practice every day with headaches, ear aches, complaining about ringing. Get yourself a good pair of ear plugs (12 bucks from music shop) and it brings the sound level down quite a bit without sacrificing tone.

Also if you want to spend a little more, you can go to an ear place (not sure what they are called) and they will take a mold of your ear and actually make you an ear plug to your specifications (decibel, size, color). Those ones are also not so visible in a show setting.

My hearing has always been pretty bad even before I started playing all the time in extreme levels. Ear Plugs help a great deal.

If you dont want to go that route, then switch completely to acoustic.

:lol: kidding.

Funny you brought up this topic. It happens to be on my mind every day. Im 35 years young right now and Ive been living with a lot of the problems you mentioned above for a long time. All my problems started back in high school when at night I would listen to very loud heavey metal music through my headphones. What a bad mistake,,I regret it all the time. Well at first I didnt notice any damage or pain or the such but it eventually came to be. I have been in countless bars over the years listening to bands with my ears hurting while watching. I remember an
Iron maiden concert that caused pain in my ears bad enough I had to go sit in the lobby for a while. I would ask my friends if their ears hurt and not one of them would say they did. Let me state that listening to loud music with the headphones didnt hurt me over night or from a few occasions. This was from repeated use, for a few years during high school. Again, its deffinatly about the biggest regret I have. Like you said above,,,you have trouble in areas with a lot of background noise,, bars and so on. Same here. My ears dont hurt then, but its hard to block out the background noise. I find myself missing words, saying huh? please say that again. My inlaws even asked my wife once if I had a hearing problem because I kept asking them to repeat in noisy situations. Oh,,, and dont let me forget the best. If the ringing gets bad enough you will find that while in a very quiet situation,like lying in bed very late at night, the ringing can get so unbearable that you might think you would go out of your friggin mind if it didnt stop. NO BULLSH!T. '
I could actually see someone going crazy from that. Use those earplugs the guy above mentioned in band situations. Read the boogie manual about decibles for extended periods of time.. thats not fiction. The key word there is extended. And yes you need to properly seat those earplugs.. Lift the top of your ear with opposite hand and insert. I know this very well because Ive also been working for a major airline for 18 years now and I need to use them dailey.. No the problem isnt from the airlines,,,it was from being an ignorant teenager. Stupid ME

Wow, I am sorry to hear that, I never played music loud using headphones because my hearing is very sensitive, but thanks for the heads up.

I did notice that when I take my earplugs out my amp is REALLY trebly. I know what you mean now. Next practice I am going to try no ear plugs and see how it goes.

The earplugs that you have made do not have this problem though. And they better not being $120. My buddy used them. I dont have $120 to spend on earplugs.

I'm a fan of a couple of good wads of cotton myself. You have to protect your hearing, I didn't for a long time and had ringing, hearing problems. I'm lucky. Since I've been protecting my hearing, the ringing has stopped and I can hear clearly again.

Me and my drummer were just talking about this Sunday night.
We both have earplugs (generic cheapies), but haven't been using them lately because of having trouble hearing self/each other.

I can't justify spending 120$ right now though on good plugs....
Does anyone know of some "middle of the road" options?

I didn't see Jak0lantern's post previously
Jak0lantern01 said:
I'm a fan of a couple of good wads of cotton myself. You have to protect your hearing, I didn't for a long time and had ringing, hearing problems. I'm lucky. Since I've been protecting my hearing, the ringing has stopped and I can hear clearly again.
Your hearing has improved since using the wads of cotton?

How is the absence of high-freq when using cotton as opposed to generic plugs?

Look at all of those MP3 players now. Mine lasts for 35hours on 1 charge and if i crank it my ears get really warm after just a minute or two (meaning lots of blood and activity going on ie: pushing my luck). I can't sleep with any noise (ie music or tv) so atleast i don't punish my ears for more than 20 minutes at a time. While this is very bad I try to limit the loud bursts to 1 or 2 songs at the most and a long period of low to moderate volumes (just above halfway for my player). I can't crank my amp whenever i want due to my living situation but I haven't played with a band for a long time so i think that has allowed my hearing to still be fresh without any ill effects yet.

Ear plugs are a must. If you play so loud that you are cutting through a 30db reduction ear plug then either you have fitment issues or you need to turn that **** down. Not much is worth risking your health. Not a song or tone anyway. There's an increase of hearing loss across the board (due to the MP3 player craze) and now it's even showing up in young teens and not just middle aged adults.

Greg

I was born with a moderate-severe hearing loss in both ears. Not sure if you guys know what the cochlea is, but it's basically the small organ in your ears that sits next to your brain where the magic of turning physical disturbances into nerve impulses that your brain can understand happens. The cochlea is basically like a snail shell, and all along the inside it's lined with small hairs, and the entire shell is filled with a special liquid. Basically, the three little bones in your ear will vibrate this liquid according to the outside frequency, and the hairs will pick it up and turn that into nerve impulses.

My problem is that a significant amount of these hairs aren't even there. Not sure if I was born early or if there was some sort of anomaly in the womb or what... but the result is that there are patches of frequencies that are impossible for me to hear. When I listen to a pure sine-wave frequency sweep from 20hz to 20,000hz, I can't hear anything above about 7,000khz or so, and before that, there are about 10-15 little sections that drop out completely. This is on $800 studio monitors too, so I'm fairly certain the signal I'm hearing is quite accurate.

I wear hearing aids in both ears, so that helps a bit. They boost overall volume and they also have built in compression which is sweet because when I go to live shows, the compression just kills anything above a certain dB rating. Plus I need to wear ear-molds as well as part of the hearing aid so I'm basically always wearing custom earplugs. Last time I went to Metallica, all my friends were fucking deaf when they came out and I was just fine. No ringing, no pain, nothing. My voice was fucked but that's another story. Same thing with Satriani last year. I saw him in a very intimate bar setting, his whole band was about 15 feet away from me and him and Eric Johnson played a combined total of about 4 hours of music and I was fine afterward.

Without them though I'm basically helpless. I can't understand people talking unless they are very close to me and I can see their face, and if we're in any sort of public setting I'm basically just wasting my time trying to hear them.

How does all this apply to guitar? Well, the more you lose your hearing, the quicker it is to lose it even more, so just cuz you can handle cranking your amp to 150dB and jamming with no earplugs now doesn't mean you will be able to a few years down the road. Plus there's the issue of tinnitus as well, which as previously mentioned, can drive people up the fuckin' wall. And if you do lose some of your hearing, you're gonna be missing out on all the great stuff that MESA amps can produce. Remember how I said I can't hear **** all above 7,000hZ? Yeah, forget all the lush overtones and sweet top ends that MESAs have if you lose even a bit of your hearing, you won't be able to hear them heh. Higher range frequencies are the first to go.

I guess all this rambling is supposed to mean one thing. I have severe hearing loss so I know first hand it sucks hardcore, so don't try and be a macho guy, just know from me it sucks. A lot. I wish every single day of my life I could hear like normal people. It sucks even more for me because it was totally out of my hands, I was just born like this so I've had to learn to accept it. I can't even kick myself in the *** for listening to loud music when I was younger. I'm just fucked from the get-go. So just wear ear-plugs. If your band mates call you a pussy, then just tell them to enjoy being deaf 10 years down the road.

PS - Turn down the bass. Bass is the most damaging of all because it's so high energy. Same reason you can "feel" the bass in your chest, it's also wreaking havoc inside your ears. Deadly trade-off, I know, I still enjoy cranking way up and standing right in front of my cab and feeling my nuts rattle haha.. but just be careful you don't do it too long.

Know this: If your ears ever start to feel painful and you keep playing, you are actively and permanently damaging your hearing at the point. As soon as they actually start to hurt, stop right away. Anything beyond that is irreversible damage.

Hope all this info helps someone.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CABER20

Those work well. The $120 ones are the far extreme of protection, I cant justify spending that much money. Just don't change the settings on your amp with earplugs in.

Bass makes sense because when bass hits really hard (in a car for example) your ears hurt like hell, and you can feel them vibrating, and then they itch they are vibrating so much.

being a musician, your ears are sacred. I dont know what I would do if I lost them.

Another vote for ear plugs. I also have tinnitus and play the "what I should have done" game in my head all the time.

Something to consider: Why is the band so loud? In my case, it was the drummer and we bought a drum shield to cut down on the sound. Otherwise, tell everyone to turn down. Anything over 90dB for more than 20 minutes does permanent hearing damage. That's for everyone, whether they notice it or not.

Another thing - you mentioned that good earplugs were too expensive. You paid a major amount of money for your amp, but won't drop $120 for your hearing? I know this may sound harsh, but your talking about major non-reversable damage to your hearing. This should be worth the money. By the way, any vitamins or supplements you may hear about are worthless. I've tried them and they are a waste of money.

Since I have the constant ringing in my ears, I know it will only get worse (not better), so this is a prioirty to me. I hope you understand that it will only get worse for you from now on unless you start protecting your hearing.

(off my soapbox - sorry if this comes across harshly, it's just something I feel very strongly about)

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

They are great, been using them for three years or so.

I have been using these for the last year

http://www.hearos.com/products-00211.htm

Great earplugs...much clearer than your cheapo earplugs, and reusable. Only $15 too :wink:

Protect your ears guys....it's hard to enjoy the music you love soo much without your hearing :shock:

I've always thought that when playing so loud, the mix is just messy without earplugs...the attenuation allows for a better mix to the ear IMO.

I have like 40% loss in the left ear, and 20% in the right. Ive been playing loud almost 20 years, but im gonna start using plugs this year...

honest

Those UE's look promising, time to throw away my $15 earplugs, time for some UE's. They might be worth it, I have noticed that when playing, my tone is quite trebly after I have messed around with tone with my ear plugs in, when I took my ear plugs out.

rabies said:
I called Sonus and they said they do a hearing diagnostic exam and will do the ear canal impressions for $50 for both ears. Send those to ultimateears and they will create the custom ear plugs (3 db reduction options) for $170.

So we're talking $220. Or eventually selling off your equipment...

I went to my doctor and asked for a referral to an audiologist. They took the molds and sent them to get the plugs. $80 per ear out the door.

triple rectumfrier said:
not bad at all. the audiologist is who takes the molds? What do they do to take the molds?

They first look in your ears to make sure everything looks okay. Then they put a piece of string with a little piece of foam tied to it into your ear canal. They put a foamy putty kind of material into your ear canals with a plastic syringe. Wait a few minutes, and they gently pull on the foam and string.

Completely painless and very quick. It is strange because you are almost completely unable to hear while the foam for the molds is setting.

I have the Etymotic Research custom musician earplugs (ER-25). I recommend them to all of my musician buddies. To me, it sounds very accurate to the original sound with them in, only with much less volume.

Sounds great! no pun intended :lol: I thought it was funny :eek:

I am going to Sonus to get some imprints made once I get the money. I guess UE works with Sonus, so impressions are only $50 and theres one right down the street! Amazing. I cant wait to get some plugs that dont detriment the sound

post up when you get those UE's... i've been using the mid-grade $15 hearos for awhile but still find myself pulling them out part way to allow a bit more treble. i looked at the UE website a couple months ago but it'll be a lot easier to drop that cash when i hear a firsthand review.

anyone who's used these.. what level NR filters did you get? 9 seems puny and 25 seems excessive, but i really have no frame of reference

Back