Recording my vintage boogie!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_cor

Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of picking up some gear to do some basic recording. I have a tascam dp 01 it has 40gbs or 20gbs, not sure, but i was thinking of using it just as the recorder, it has 2 1/4 inputs, and 14 tracks in total and panning etc.. i was thinking of picking up a shure sm 57 and another mic to compensate what teh shure doesn't pickup and looking to get a mic preamp that's pretty cheap and can do the job, does anyone know of any companies or products ? i'm not looking for studio sound but relatilvy good, good enough to make a clip on the board or to do a home project. and is the dp 01 being put to good use in this sitaution or should I look at something else, .. i have littel or no knowledge of recording and i would like to keep it as basic as possible, any advice / tips would be appreciated thanks :!:

For the second mic, I would recommend a condenser because they pick up the lows and highs better than dynamic mics. They vary in price greatly, but I think a large diaphragm would fill the space that the 57 doesn't nicely.

This means you need a pre with phantom power. One I've looked at but not used is the "PreSonus TUBEPre Microphone Preamp". I've heard good things about this one and the company.

Blend the two and you should get a very full sound that is tight and accurate for less than $200.

All of this aside, if you go dynamic the “Sennheiser E609 Dynamic” may get you what you are looking for with half the cost because you don’t need the pre.

Nick_cor said:
Hi, I'm thinking of picking up some gear to do some basic recording. I have a tascam dp 01 it has 40gbs or 20gbs, not sure, but i was thinking of using it just as the recorder, it has 2 1/4 inputs, and 14 tracks in total and panning etc.. i was thinking of picking up a shure sm 57 and another mic to compensate what teh shure doesn't pickup and looking to get a mic preamp that's pretty cheap and can do the job, does anyone know of any companies or products ? i'm not looking for studio sound but relatilvy good, good enough to make a clip on the board or to do a home project. and is the dp 01 being put to good use in this sitaution or should I look at something else, .. i have littel or no knowledge of recording and i would like to keep it as basic as possible, any advice / tips would be appreciated thanks :!:

try to talk to Metropolisamp (JP), he's getting very skilled on recording plus is a very cool fella 8) (i think you've heard some of his clips with the Horizon amp) . . .

I too have a couple of the Senn E-609's and they are known for being a good guitar cab mike. A bit more midrangey than the sm-57 which is still probably in many players opinion to be the most universal instrument mike you can get without going into the expensive and finiky world of condensers and preamps just for home demo recording. My personal favorite is the Shure Beta-57A. It has all the great characteristics of the sm-57 with a little more top and bottom and can be bought usually for a little over a $100.00. At the end of the day though the real secret is placement of the mike. Set your EQ flat and experiment with different parts of the speaker cone and angle or axis of your mike placement. When you find the "sweet spot" you'll know

I didn't want to spend too much on a pre-amp, so I bought a little Behringer 4 Ch mixer. It has phantom power & a pretty good EQ, & only cost about 40 bucks.

Back