Raodster and cabs

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nocki

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Roadster wich I'm ordering EL34 tubes for. they make the sound much tighter and with better lows.
The roadster is connected to 2 2x12 recto cabs. and always like this

4ohm out -> cab 1 ( 8ohm )
4ohm out -> cab 2 ( 8ohm )

I noticed there are 16 ohm v30's in the cabs so the are wired in serial inside the cab. there is a paralleld out on both cabs. what ohmage will it be when i connect the amps like this?

Roadster 8ohm out - > cab 1 -> cab 2?

could you guys help me out?

thanks
Nocki

ps. i have 4 beamblockers in my cabs! they work great! i can hear myself everywhere I go ( even 5 blocks away from my house :p

This would be a 4 ohm load on the 8 ohm tap.
Mesa calls this a safe mismatch so you would probably be okay, or at least they used to call this a safe mismatch in the Mark III manual. You should probably check your manual to be sure.

This would be the same as your first setup:
Roadster 4ohm out - > cab 1 -> cab 2

Chris... 8)

Nocki said:
I noticed there are 16 ohm v30's in the cabs so the are wired in serial inside the cab.

No, if the cab is 8ohm and the two speakers inside are 16ohm that would mean the speakers are wired in parallel.

chedgeco said:
This would be a 4 ohm load on the 8 ohm tap.
Mesa calls this a safe mismatch so you would probably be okay, or at least they used to call this a safe mismatch in the Mark III manual. You should probably check your manual to be sure.

This would be the same as your first setup:
Roadster 4ohm out - > cab 1 -> cab 2

Chris... 8)

No, I'm pretty sure that would be an unsafe mismatch. An 8ohm load into a 4ohm tap would be a safe mismatch. These amps could probably handle it either way, though, as most modern amps (not M/B specifically) have fairly beefy transformers. I read an article that said most of the time with modern amps, you are okay to hook into a tap one notch higher or lower than the actual load. But two notches is a definite NO! But it's still best to hook into the tap that is the closest.

Nocki said:
what ohmage will it be when i connect the amps like this?

If you connect the two 8 ohm cabs in parallel, then you would want to hook into a 4 ohm tap.

In all case (whatever is in the cab) right away if you plug two load (or cab) you have to think that the amp is going to see half the value of the impedance cause the signal of the amp is divided by 2. For two 8ohms cab you have to use both 4ohms output. For two 16ohms cab you use two 8ohms amp's outputs.

Two 16ohms speakers in mesa cabs are in parallel that's why they can only be use at 8ohms.

Nocki said:
Hi,

I have a Roadster wich I'm ordering EL34 tubes for. they make the sound much tighter and with better lows.
The roadster is connected to 2 2x12 recto cabs. and always like this

4ohm out -> cab 1 ( 8ohm )
4ohm out -> cab 2 ( 8ohm )

I noticed there are 16 ohm v30's in the cabs so the are wired in serial inside the cab. there is a paralleld out on both cabs. what ohmage will it be when i connect the amps like this?

could you guys help me out?

thanks
Nocki

ps. i have 4 beamblockers in my cabs! they work great! i can hear myself everywhere I go ( even 5 blocks away from my house :p

Don't ever do it that way.If you want to use parallel out from cab then you still have to use half value of your amp:

Roadster 4ohm out - > cab 1 -> cab 2 But why to do like this when you have two 4ohms ouput on your roadster(kickass amp :shock: )

I think those parallel out are on the cabs for amps with just one 4ohms output.

Latest posts

Back