RACKtifier doesn't have enough gain!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantomlord2oo

Reaction score
Hi. I just bought a Dual RACKtifier. I had to get it repaired since some of the knobs were damaged during shipping. Then I changed all the tubes with stock Mesa tubes.

I just can't get enough gain with it, even with it cranked! Is that normal? I listen to John Petrucci and Metallica when they used the same amp and I can't get anywhere near the same crunch even with the gain maxed out. I've tweaked it for hours, different modes, different power settings and I can't figure it out! I even hooked up my THD Hot Plate and cranked it up to 10 and I couldn't get the sound I needed.

I've got my guitars loaded with EMGs and I use all Monster Cables and I just can't figure it out! I used to own a 3 channel Triple Recto and it sounded awsome, almost Pantera-ish. I could get the same tone out of a Dual Recto too.

Is there supposed to be THAT much gain difference between the 3 channel and 2 channel models?

+Mike+

It's still a rectifier. It should have the gain you want.

Are all your cables working properly?

Maybe the battery is getting low?

To think there might be some difference in gain between a two or three channel Rectifier is unwarranted! Your gear is not performing correct, or you need to access a manual for your Dual Racktifier!

The batteries are fine. I tried it with a couple of guitars, most with EMGs and they got the same result. I've read the manual through several times. My gear is fine.

The only think I can think of is when I retubed the amp I used different rectifier tubes than what my Triple Recto had. The Triple Recto had the short recto tubes and I got the larger rectifier tubes for the RACKtifier. Would that warrent a loss of gain?

+Mike+

No.....from what I hear, the larger rectifier tighten up the recto for the better.

Have you tried boosting it with an OD? How hard are you pushing the amp?

Try swapping those crap Mesa preamp tubes around. They might sound better in different positions. I tested a handful that were new and got sketchy results. Some barely tested new, others one side was good the other was marginal. For being carefully selected I don't think their selection QA is as good as GT. The GT tubes I have bought have tested better, stronger and more consistent.

Latest posts

Back