Questions regarding the Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orion88

Reaction score
hey guys,

I've been enjoying my mark iv real well, but as I hear other people talking about it, im wondering if there are some things that aren't necessary.

1) First off, right now I use the lead channel for my heavy rhythm sound, and I use a Tube screamer (TS808) to kind of smooth it out for a nice lead tone. I heard other people say that extra pedals aren't really necessary, and that it's better to use the lead channel + EQ for heavy rhythm and the lead channel w/o EQ for the lead tone. Is this true? Should I just get rid of the tubescreamer and mess around with using the EQs or not?

2) Whats a good setting to have the reverb at that would be good for clean/rhythm/lead?

3) What volume setting would reach that "sweet spot" that everyone talks about? How loud does it have to be?

thanks

It doesn`t hurt tweaking the amp. I think that is one of the best parts about the Mesa amps.

1) Do whatever sounds best to your ears... don't listen to anybody else. I ran my amp the same as yours, except I used either a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive or Crispy Cream Treble Booster for my lead tone. I always had the EQ engaged.

2) I didn't like the reverb very much on this amp... it was always off. But I would say just keep it low if you like it. A lot of reverb sounds good for cleans or for leads, but not for heavy rythym. I wish the reverb on this amp was footswitchable.

3) The Mark IV is one of the few amps that sounds the same at lower volumes and higher volumes. Once you get it past bedroom volumes at least. I like the master at 3 and the lead channel at just over 2 (everything else set to balance) - that was my sweet spot. I used it both by myself, at practice and at shows.

Orion,

Have you not been able to get a heavy enough rhythm sound from R2?

When I want a heavy rhythm sound I usually can get what I want from R2, but I'm playing more classic rock stuff.

I use the lead channel for my leads and the EQ for a boost for any channel.

It might be worth a try looking for an R2 sound that works for you. Play around with the pull presence knob and the pull fat on the gain knob. If you can get it close the graphic EQ might get you the rest of the way.

Also try different power settings. There is a lot of range there also to add crunch.

Good luck!

I have tried a number of ways, all with their respective merits...

Clean is Clean, usually don't use the EQ with this channel even for a boost. I do like the bright pulled and the presence very low (0-1) to keep the "ping" and metallice attack at a minimum.

Lead I have used as a heavy rhythm alone, with the EQ for solo boosts (lots of midrange and low mids makes it cut through the mix easily). I have also used this channel as a Lead/Solo channel only, using R2 as my crunch rhythm. I have tried OD pedals in front and in the FX loop (low gain) but didn't get alot of bang for the buck over the amp channel alone.

R2 is both the most versatile and the most troublesome channel. I love using it as a 'pushed' clean, sort of like a Tweed Amp with a TS-808 pushing it harder. Can get some really good SRV-style or Hendrix-Style tones on this channel. Usually best with the Gain not pulled out (Fat?) and with the Presence pulled out.

Also like to use R2 as a crunch rhythm or distorted rhythm. This is best if you set the EQ to come on with the channel automatically. This channel kills set for higher gain settings (8-10), Fat Pulled, Presence Pulled, Treble up a bit (7-9) and the EQ set for "Super Scooped" settings. basically with the Bass slider very high and the mid slider on the bottom. the only problem is this set up on the EQ is the opposite of my preference on Lead Channel (I like that one with more mids) so it takes it out of the formula for channel 3.

I also like to experiment with the effect that Triode/Pentode and Full/Tweed power has on each channel. Varying amounts of headroom, bloom and harmonics with each setting. Some work better on clean and others work better on Channels 2/3. That would be my wish for a "Mark V"... that the power settings/tube configurations could be set independently for each channel. Full Power/Pentode + Simul Class for max headroom on Clean... Tweed Power + Simul Class/Triode for Channel two for a dirty, crunchy, but deeply clear rhythm channel, and lastly Full Power + Class A/Triode for saturated leads.

If these were footswitchable and independent, this would be nearly the perfect amp...

I agree that the Reverb leaves a bit to be desired. Not very natural sounding. Sound okay with Clean, but then you can't turn it off for the other channels.

GenoBluzGtr said:
R2 is both the most versatile and the most troublesome channel.

Well put. :)

I also like to experiment with the effect that Triode/Pentode and Full/Tweed power has on each channel. Varying amounts of headroom, bloom and harmonics with each setting. Some work better on clean and others work better on Channels 2/3. That would be my wish for a "Mark V"... that the power settings/tube configurations could be set independently for each channel. Full Power/Pentode + Simul Class for max headroom on Clean... Tweed Power + Simul Class/Triode for Channel two for a dirty, crunchy, but deeply clear rhythm channel, and lastly Full Power + Class A/Triode for saturated leads.

Yup, the key to finding the right sounds for me was when I spent some time messing with tweed power and the switches on the back. Also found I could get pretty decent sounds at practice levels by setting the amp to triode / class A / mid gain and selecting tweed power mode.

If these were footswitchable and independent, this would be nearly the perfect amp...

I've had the same thought, though I'd add a good reverb to make it perfect.

I agree that the Reverb leaves a bit to be desired. Not very natural sounding. Sound okay with Clean, but then you can't turn it off for the other channels.

I think the Mk IV reverb just plain sucks. I turn it off completely.

This is one of the few amps I've owned where I don't use an O/D- Distortion-Boost type effect.

I find the lead channel very smooth. Also try rolling down the tone on the guitar a bit.

This is a tweakers amp for sure. Could take a couple of months to really learn it. Even after a couple of months you will hit some sort of cool tone by accident and it's like whoa.!!!

Remember to write them down.

brianf

I've never used anything other than a wah with my MKIV. R2 is really good for classic rock stuff. The lead channel has enough gain (for me anyway) and I use it for rythm and solos with t e EQ out usually. The exception is when I need that Metallica mid scooped crunch then I kick the EQ in. A great amp in all.

Scott

Latest posts

Back