Question regarding the Reeder mod #1.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcfee

Reaction score
I find the Ch2 to be very good in many ways (this amp is very rich in tone!) but agree that has a loose bass sound and can be very thick and dark. The Reeder mod is interesting to me for this reason.
My question - when this mod is done will I still have as much gain available on Ch2? Forgetting about the tonal difference, will I still get as much distortion? Or will it clean the channel up like Ch 1? I like the amount of gain I have now, just wish it was clearer.
I am growing to love this amp. The clean channel is insane!

On my LSS, I didn't notice any less gain after the Reeder mod. It just sounded less compressed and woofy to me, definitely more useable. Nice thing about the mod is that if you don't like it, you can always reverse it.

I found after the mod ch2 with the drive turned off is a lot closer to ch1.
With the drive turned on I didnt notice any less gain at all compaired to pre mod.
I can see why people like this mod and full respect to those who worked it out but it wasnt for me, I seemed to loose all the warmth from ch2 which is why I got a Lonestar in the first place so I went back to standard.
Ive still got the mid mod done though.
As Steve says, its easy to reverse so might as well give it a go.... Just be carefull what you touch inside your amp!

I might as well face it - it's time to warm up the soldering iron!

Steve73 said:
On my LSS, I didn't notice any less gain after the Reeder mod. It just sounded less compressed and woofy to me, definitely more useable. Nice thing about the mod is that if you don't like it, you can always reverse it.

Ch 2 unmoded can´t sound compressed without a compressor, compressor are used to regulate and to equal peak levels, ch 2 is very dynamique and responsive to the peak attack without the mod 1, compression is not the word

handyandy said:
I found after the mod ch2 with the drive turned off is a lot closer to ch1.
With the drive turned on I didnt notice any less gain at all compaired to pre mod.
I can see why people like this mod and full respect to those who worked it out but it wasnt for me, I seemed to loose all the warmth from ch2 which is why I got a Lonestar in the first place so I went back to standard.
Ive still got the mid mod done though.
As Steve says, its easy to reverse so might as well give it a go.... Just be carefull what you touch inside your amp!

This is exactly how I found the Reeder #1 mod with my LSS and have returned it to stock. It was only less warm/more harsh with the drive circuit enabled though. If you do want a complete clone of Channel 1 then it does exactly what it says on the tin.

I haven't tried the mid mod

Reeder Mod #2 will help with the woofiness in Ch2. I know some of us tweakers have landed on only doing the mid mod to Ch2, and leaving Ch1 stock because the benefits are so much greater on the drive channel, and maybe not so great on the clean. Also extremely easy to reverse.

As to the gain question about Reeder #1, there's no loss of gain whatsoever. Hecks of gain left on tap, baby.

Latest posts

Back