Question on tone differnece with hardwood cabinet (eye candy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickc007

Reaction score
Just bought a hardwood Lonestar Special

And there is a bit difference in tone

was wondering what the "general perception" as to the
affect hardwoods have on sound, darker ? brighter ?
punchier ?

and of course eye candy of my latest

newls2.jpg

newls9.jpg

Gorgeous amp.

I recently picked up a bubinga F-50. To me the sound is slighly more punchy, but the difference, at gig volume is barely perceptible at all. It could be that I actually WANT it to sound punchier - I don't know. The main difference for me though is that it is now in the family room - not relegated to the basement any more.

plumptone said:
Gorgeous amp.

The main difference for me though is that it is now in the family room - not relegated to the basement any more.

Good, b/c that thing looks nicer than some of my furniture in my house, And it's more applicable than most of it as well. It desrves to be shown off haha! Amazing amp my friend!

-AJH

Nice eye candy for sure!!!

The only experience I have with a solid hardwood cabinet is with my friend's Krank Revelution 4x12. I A/B'd between his cab and my traditional recto cab with my Dual Rec and I actually prefered my recto cab. Even though his cab was oversised, I thought the recto had more punch and bottom end. However, that process was not comparing apples to apples. The Krank has different speakers, grill material, construction, size etc. I just felt that out of the two cabs my recto cab sounded a bit better.

One thing is for certain and that is a solid hardwood cab will certainly not sound any worse than a plywood cab, and could potentially sound better. The only way to tell would be to A/B with another Lonestar combo with the same speaker using the same amp. I'm sure your amp sounds killer!

jbird said:
My perception would be that of a more "woody thunk"! Very Nice!

Im going to piggy back off of this and say that it might have a touch more "snap" in the midrange and be a brighter sound accounting the different wood types than a darker sounding tolex covered one. If you think about the reason that Guitar manufacturers place a maple top on a mahogony guitar its to add snap and brightness to a rather warm sounding wood and bring balance. A solid chunk of tree will have more resonance than a piece of plywood with thin layers of glue between each layer of wood. This is not a bad thing on the tolex covered cabs(I have 2-an oversized Mesa and a Marshall 1960A) you gain durability with ply'd wood and some guys might enjoy the darker tone. :wink:

rickc007,

that amp is beautiful (although just a peak of the right side of that Fender, looks like a Deluxe reissue[?])

... oh the wood enclosure amp is pretty too. :lol:

That's beautiful LoneStar Special : two different woods, flame maple front control panel ...

... uh, so is your guitar tolex tarus black with a diamond metal pickguard?
36_11_6.gif

Thanks for the replies and comments.

RR, that is actually a Reissue Twin, the Deluxe Reverb is off to the side :)

and I thought it would be "thunkier" too

but it is actually tighter, and brighter, has a bit more bite than the my other setup which is shown below. Especially in the gain channel.

I'm suprised on how much they do not sound the same

mesa2lp1.jpg

Yeah, LoneStar Special (or maybe a Maverick gotta have those quartet of EL84s "AC30") among my array guitar amps.

Cool, Fender Reissue Twin, I guess LoneStar Classic (6L6s) was not as necessary.

Beautiful Les Pauls :D but please tell me it say "Gibson" on the headstock and not "Epiphone".

I should of say I am looking for LoneStar Special (or Maverick) for my collection of guitar amps.

Yeah, that's a beautiful flame top on that GIBSON Les Paul!

You would not be surprise but there's some EPI LP that has "figured maple" top but its a laminated ply (ugh) on alder not a carved top on mahogany.

Nice picture on the link. => Polytechnic University, similiar school I attended here in the West Coast. :wink:

RR said:
I should of say I am looking for LoneStar Special (or Maverick) for my collection of guitar amps.

Yeah, that's a beautiful flame top on that GIBSON Les Paul!

You would not be surprise but there's some EPI LP that has "figured maple" top but its a laminated ply (ugh) on alder not a carved top on mahogany.

Nice picture on the link. => Polytechnic University, similiar school I attended here in the West Coast. :wink:

Well I'm actually in the West Coast now, Southern California
still host pics at my old school

any my LSS head is in the classified, it's negotiable....

Well a few of us over at the Vintage Era Amps had a big discussion about this and it got a little "high school" in some places.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=4709

Latest posts

Back