Question on DC-3 running with JMP-1

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanslow

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got a couple of questions about running a Marshall JMP-1 with my DC-3.

At present I have it setup with Guitar->JMP-1->FX Return (100% wet) so basically using the power amp side of the DC-3 (that's when I decide to use the Marshall preamp and not the DC-3). If I remove my input from the JMP and put it into the preamp input of the DC-3, it seems to still be expecting to just use the poweramp and doesn't appear to utilise the DC-3 preamp fully. If I turn the amp off and on again, it appears to work fine.

This also happens when using the DC-3 preamp first, then switching to the JMP-1 preamp. Is there a problem with changing to/from the DC-3 preamp with a separate unit permanently plugged into the FX return?

Second issue, I know (at least I think I do ;) ) that the above setup is correct, running the JMP-1 preamp into the poweramp section, but I actually think it sounds a lot nicer if I take the output from the JMP-1 and plug it into the preamp input on the DC-3, running it on the clean channel. Are there any issues with doing it this way, rather than running it into the poweramp section?

Steve

The difference with my setup is that I leave the JMP permanently connected to the FX return from its output, and basically pull the instrument input from one preamp input to the other. It's no big deal really as I tend to go for one preamp over the other depending on what mood I'm in and stick with it.

Was talking to a colleague about running the JMP into the preamp input, and he thought it should be ok as the JMP is effectively acting as a booster, but with available distortion too. I do like the sound of mixing the Marshall with the Mesa, seems to have a nice bite to it. I'm yet to increase the gain on the rhythm channel which I will do at some point when I have the time to play. I had tried it on the lead channel, but it ended up sounding like a fart :lol:

Be curious to know if it'll shorten the life of any valves due to being a higher gain input, and/or whether anybody knows of any drawbacks with running it this way.

Latest posts

Back