Question For The Lonestar Owners

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSCMan

Reaction score
So, it's a long story, but I just got my 1X12 Lonestar back from the shop today. What I noticed, and don't remember from about 2 years ago the last time I used it:

If I put my hand on the top of the amp around the handle, it develops a hum. When I touch one of the handle screws, the hum stops. Likewise, if I touch any two of the screws that hold the chassis in, the hum stops.

Some kind of new grounding issue related to the repair?

Does anybody else with a Lonestar that works right notice this phenomenon?

:(

Bad repair IMHO.

My LSC is virtually noiseless.

good luck,

LSCMan said:
So, it's a long story, but I just got my 1X12 Lonestar back from the shop today. What I noticed, and don't remember from about 2 years ago the last time I used it:

If I put my hand on the top of the amp around the handle, it develops a hum. When I touch one of the handle screws, the hum stops. Likewise, if I touch any two of the screws that hold the chassis in, the hum stops.

Some kind of new grounding issue related to the repair?

Does anybody else with a Lonestar that works right notice this phenomenon?

:(

It's quiet as long as I don't touch the top. How I noticed it, I rested my hand on there to lean down and turn the volume up.

Did both of you try putting your hand on top to see if there was any amount of hum at all?

Pretty strange, just resting my hand on there makes it hum, right about where the preamp tubes are.

I'm about ready to throw this POS off a cliff. :x

There's no guitar plugged in, and the volume on the amp is all the way up.

I made a quick video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAmV6KNLNjo

What you've done is ground the chassis with your hand. This indicates one of two things. Either the repair was not completed properly, or the circuit you're plugged into has a faulty ground. either one can kill you, so your best bet is to bring the amp back and ask the tech to find the fault.

It just may be the circuit, most of the outlets in this old hotel are two prong except the one I was plugged into.

I'll try it later today when I get moved into the new rental house.

Greetings:

This is a long shot...but check it out before sending it back for repair etc.

You know that 'so called mystery screw' that people post about from time to time? It's that screw that protrudes from under the chassis and seems to have no apparent purpose....
Well that screw (as some have guessed) should be tightened until it makes good firm contact with the underside of the top. It does serve the dual purpose of damping vibrations in the chassis AND grounding the chassis properly.

I did some work on my DC-5 a few months back and forgot to to tighten that screw after I put the amp back together. I experienced the EXACT same thing as is occurring in your Lone Star. (yes, the Lone Star has the same identical screw). It is quite possible that when your amp chassis was put back in after servicing (by either the tech or you) that the screw was not tightened.

Anyway...give it a try...if it works fine...if not at least you've tried the 'cheap fix'!

Best of luck: Charles

Hey Guy,

You may want to try a different Power Source. Have you moved since you last played the AMP ?

House wiring may be out of code if the amp is making noise.

Try a different location (is work an option ? Commercial Buildings usually have good wiring without mistakes and 60cycle feedback within the circuits.

Good Luck
:idea:

Mesa uses a foil shield on the top of the cabinet/head that the chassis screws into. It's possible that your tech damaged the connection where the chassis screws into this foil. All four of the chassis and handle screws make contact with this foil. Just a thought.

sounds like an AC power grounding issue. You should take it back to the tech

be careful about over-tightening that screw. Hand-tight should be enough. Getting too aggressive w/a screwdriver just chews a hole in the cabinet.

Charles Reeder said:
Greetings:

This is a long shot...but check it out before sending it back for repair etc.

You know that 'so called mystery screw' that people post about from time to time? It's that screw that protrudes from under the chassis and seems to have no apparent purpose....
Well that screw (as some have guessed) should be tightened until it makes good firm contact with the underside of the top. It does serve the dual purpose of damping vibrations in the chassis AND grounding the chassis properly.

I did some work on my DC-5 a few months back and forgot to to tighten that screw after I put the amp back together. I experienced the EXACT same thing as is occurring in your Lone Star. (yes, the Lone Star has the same identical screw). It is quite possible that when your amp chassis was put back in after servicing (by either the tech or you) that the screw was not tightened.

Anyway...give it a try...if it works fine...if not at least you've tried the 'cheap fix'!

Best of luck: Charles

Back