Question: Best guitar cable for your Mesa setup?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
Drilling in on a question I asked on another post.

-What is your favorite guitar cable to use with your Mesa?
--George L's seem to be popular; I'm concerned because I've read that there is distinct midrange when using them. I'm looking for something as flat as possible
--Monster cable is certainly easy to buy (local GC) and priced equivalent to George L; however, they also seem to have a distinct sound from what I've read
--Evidence Audio seem to be the top in terms of pricing. Has anybody used these? Do I really need to spend $80+ for a guitar cable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have a Mesa Maverick 2x12 with V30 speakers and the mid is a little strong for me, even before I changed cables. I'll be swapping the speakers out of it in the near future. But I just recently started using a George L's .225 cable, and the mid range didn't change one bit. Some might say they have a more pronounced midrange, but to my ears...and coming out of an amp that's a little too strong on the mids in my opinion, the George L's sounded great and didn't add any midrange. Nothing but depth and clarity.

Mogami from amp to pedals
Monster for patches
Planet Waves guitar to pedals

Also, my Tone Jones loop setup pedal sure is cool!

Great advice from everybody. Looks like maybe I can avoid the $135 for the Evidence Audio and stick with Planet Waves, Monster, or George L and be fine.

I really like my CoreX2 cables but I use Monster also. Seems like the Core are built very durable and are reasonably priced.

i play evidence audio - the lyric hg. will do the speaker cables also in the near future. though for 4 aces this will be quite challenging for the wallet.

try it, you will hear the difference immediately - if not its..., ya, if not what then ...

Didn't we just go through this or was it another forum?

See my sig and try a search before posting. :lol:

We used to use long crappy cables to get a smoother tone! LOL I use planet waves now but I would have chucked them in the trash back then cause it would have been brittle sounding. Always used good connectors though.

I'm giving the tara lab cable a shot. It's ordered and on the way.

Here is a good cable buying guide.

http://www.lavacable.com/Suitability_Guide.htm

Tara20Labs.jpg

If you want all of the top shelf options, go check out Lavacable.com. They have every top end cable at very good prices, and top level service.

George L's are NOT great cables. Trust me....When you try something in even a mid range cable like a Klotz LaGrange, that I happen to like alot, there is a significant difference, in overall tonal balance and high end smoothness.

I am personally am playing Sommer Stratos cables, and they are the best I have ever heard (And I have tried everything that Lava offers). Clearly this is all subjective, so pick your price range, and order a couple to try, and return the ones that aren't keepers.

Blueser said:
If you want all of the top shelf options, go check out Lavacable.com. They have every top end cable at very good prices, and top level service.

George L's are NOT great cables. Trust me....When you try something in even a mid range cable like a Klotz LaGrange, that I happen to like alot, there is a significant difference, in overall tonal balance and high end smoothness.

I am personally am playing Sommer Stratos cables, and they are the best I have ever heard (And I have tried everything that Lava offers). Clearly this is all subjective, so pick your price range, and order a couple to try, and return the ones that aren't keepers.

Have you heard the tara labs cables? I'm still waiting for mine to arrive and am curious to hear what your opinion is.

I have used Whirlwind cables for years.Indestructable and noise free.
I scoffed at their lifetime warranty,figured the cable would die at some point.....Hasn't happened yet :D

Back