question about tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoensJ

Reaction score
hey guys,

I guess for most of you this is a stupid question. I want to change the Svetlana EL34 power tubes in my Tremoverb dual rectifier head. If I buy 4 new EL34 tubes, does my amp needs re-biassing? thx

ps: any suggestions for good tubes? I play in a metalband.

No re-biasing needed... Mesa Boogies have a "set" bias, so there is no adjustment but it is recommended that you try to stay pretty close to the stock tube rating, although several people don't and dont' have any problems. And yes, the JJ's are good tubes from what I hear, that's what I'm going with when I re-tube my Road King.

Tele, I just put in STR-454's, which from what I gather are Svetlana's branded by Mesa. A direct comparison with the JJ E-34L's reveals that there is no comparison between the cleans, the 6L6's are beautiful, the 34L....very good. As far as gain sounds, the Svetlana's have a tighter rhythm sound but the JJ's have a nastier lead tone. I'm not so sure now whether the JJ's are any better than Svetlana's. Just my humble opinion.

tele_jas said:
No re-biasing needed... Mesa Boogies have a "set" bias, so there is no adjustment but it is recommended that you try to stay pretty close to the stock tube rating, although several people don't and dont' have any problems. And yes, the JJ's are good tubes from what I hear, that's what I'm going with when I re-tube my Road King.

Latest posts

Back