Question about preamp tubes (rectifier)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werihukka

Reaction score
So, I've heard that some rectos don't like russian preamp tubes in the V3 and V4 slots... I think it has nothing to do with the country it was made in... BUT.. mine has tungsols in those slots and in spongy mode, volume drops and the sound becomes terrible. Bold-setting works, but I don't like it as much as the spongy (when it works).

I read in one page that those cathode follower tubes should be of type ecc82 rather than ecc83. Some here have said, that chinese ecc83's should be placed in those slots if the problem occurs. So, how should it be?

Thanks in advance.

Yup. V3 and V4 are cathode folower positions and Russian tubes don't seem to work in these slots. I got the exact same problem you got. Volume drop in spongy. You either need to run chinese, JJ or vintage/NOS tubes in there. I have a JJ in my V4 and a Vintage RCA in my V3. No more volume drops.

Ok, thanks.

I already ordered couple of JJ ECC83S tubes, that should withstand the voltage difference in Rectifier. I asume that the chinese 7025's share the same design as the JJ ECC83S's? Anyway, I'm glad I'm able to get the spongy mode working.

Funny thing is that my bands other guitarist has 3ch Dual and tungsol's work with his rectifier and I've the 2ch triple and mine has problems with some russian tubes.

This is something that is good-to-know even if one has not experienced any problems.

My buddy has an older 3ch Triple and his works fine with all russian tubes in it. I dunno whats different about the newer ones.

Latest posts

Back