Question about Mark IV effects loop

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyjh3

Reaction score
I'm confused about the channel volumes/masters doubling as the effects loop send controls and the output master controlling the effects loop return control. If these are controlling the volume balance between the three channels, won't I throw that off when adjusting the levels when the loop is engaged? For example, if say my R1 channel has a slight volume drop when the FX loop is engaged and I turn up the R1 master to compensate, won't that channel now be louder when the effects loop is switched off? Also, when I increase the return by turning up the output master, aren't I just turning up the overall volume. When I first read this in the manual I assumed there would be some sort of push/pull pot or something similar to go between the volumes and the effects loop level controls. I'm a little confused as to how this works, and haven't had any luck figuring this out or finding any info on this subject. Hopefully someone could clear up the mystery for me. Sorry for being such a Mark IV noob, and not knowing this, but I haven't had mine for very long and I want to really understand all that it can do. The FX loop situation is kind of the last big puzzle for me. Thanks in advance guys.

I'll give you an example. Suppose I have a Boss DD-3 in the loop. With the effects loop off, first I set the channel masters for R1, R2 and lead at 4, 5 and 5, respectively, and output at 3, so I get a good balance between channels, and I get the overall volume I need. Then I turn on the loop and I find the sound is clipping because the pedal is overloaded. I turn down the channel masters to 3, 4 and 4 so I won't get any clipping. But then I find that the overall volume is too low (coz the outgoing signal from the pre-amp is now reduced) for my needs, so I turn up the output master to 3.25 to compensate. That's how they work. Hope this helps.

trem said:
I'll give you an example. Suppose I have a Boss DD-3 in the loop. With the effects loop off, first I set the channel masters for R1, R2 and lead at 4, 5 and 5, respectively, and output at 3, so I get a good balance between channels, and I get the overall volume I need. Then I turn on the loop and I find the sound is clipping because the pedal is overloaded. I turn down the channel masters to 3, 4 and 4 so I won't get any clipping. But then I find that the overall volume is too low (coz the outgoing signal from the pre-amp is now reduced) for my needs, so I turn up the output master to 3.25 to compensate. That's how they work. Hope this helps.
Sorry for hijacking but that's weird. You've got channel vols 4,5,5 at R1 R2 and Lead and got the volume balance but mine are 6,3,3! Is there any problem with my Mark IV?

Nah, those were just example. I pulled those numbers out of my ***. :lol:

Latest posts

Back