putting an EV in a mark IV widebody combo...help?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimAnsell

Reaction score
before i take my mark IV widebody combo appart and put an ev in there, is there anything else i have to do besides replace the baffle screws with longer screws? will the ev actually fit back there with the pre amp tubes so close to the speaker?
anything else i should know before doing this?

Just be carefull lowering the speaker on to the screw posts. I ruined a EV SRO I had trying to load it into my MKIV. I have to get it reconed now.

You should remove all the tubes, the fan, and the reverb tank to have ultimate access to get that bad boy in there.

Scott

If your C90 only had 4 screws mounting the speaker, make sure you use 8 for the EV. It weighs close to 20 lbs, so it needs the extra support. Also the EV in my compact combo was front loaded too. I'm not sure how the widebody combos are, but you may have to do it that way to make it fit. The EVM12L is huge for a 12" speaker.

I agree, The EVM is the best choice for Mk's. But u know what they say, "to each his tone". I actually started a thread exactly like this before I swapped out the C-90 and replaced it with an EVM. I called mine, "how to mount an EVM-12L Classic in a widebody combo". U can refrence it if it helps answer any questions, and it also has some pics. Anyway, Your are going go love the EVM, but if you bought it new the sound is gonna change a little once it breaks in, mine actually sound better and better. Good Luck

one of my trusty old school ev 12l's with the "EV" printed on the dust cap, is now in my wide body mark 4.
you really don't need to make any modifications other than swapping the existing speaker mounting screws (#8 1 1/4") to longer screws (#8 2" works great). i added two more screws, one on each side, leaving the top and bottom screw holes on the EV unused.
its in there solid, and drilling two more holes in the baffle would just be overkill IMO. for the record, you don't need to take the fan out. i did the whole thing with the fan in.
its kind of a tight squeeze, but the reverb tank fits back in there.
its not even that much heavier.... i mean the extra 8 or 9 pounds is unnoticeable since its already heavy as hell anyway.
its definitly more alive sounding, i wouldn't say brighter, just more clear, and less of that celestion "blanket over cab" sound.
definitly worth doing, and pretty easy.

Latest posts

Back