Problems getting pinched harmonics on duel rectifier???????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moodyedge

Reaction score
I just got a mesa after a long time wanting one. Ive been playing around with settings trying to get it how I like but and its going ok but one thing I have noticed that seem way more difficult to do, (i have an orange rocker 30 and its easier on that with half the gain) pinched harmonics seem very very hard to do now VERY HARD.....I thought they would be flying off the fretboard all over the place.....but no.......i like disturbed, killswitch engage etc so can anyone tell me why this is and what may be the issue??

Ive had this amp about 5 days and cant figure out whats wrong.....

its not the guitars because ive got a crappy old solid stage 75 watt peavey 1x10 combo i prac with sometimes and pinched harmonics fly off that all over the place.....

??????? its weird????????/HELP fellow boogie heads!!!

:twisted:

i have the gain set between 2 and 3 on ch2 and 3...ive found that modern on ch2 is warmer...depends wat im playing..i like vintage on ch3........if its any higher it sounds harsh to my ears

I dont hav a mesa cab yet...Im using a matamp 2x12...its a BIG 2x12 tho.62cm square by 37cm deep..with celestion g12h in for my orange head. Its only 60 watt so I have to be carefull..sold it on ebay so im cabless from tomorrow until the 4x12 auction ends im currently winning.
im getting a slant rectifier cab soon. Not that that makes any diff to pinched harmonics....but.....anyway

i find this very strange that pinched harmonics dont just jump out all over the place........

what do you think the problem is?

the jackson was sold after a week....i also had an gibson sg that i also sold after a few months...hated the necks on both of them...sounded good tho....but couldnt live with the necks. Ive been changing guitars etc and pickups to get a heavier tone but I ended narrowing it down to the amp so now ive got a duel rec thats sorted...if i can get these harmonics sorted out... its not like there isnt much gain on it....weird...surely this amp should make them easier to do than an orange whoich has maybe half the gain.

l_53f24cb540b14d1385868f00e181a60a.jpg

l_5a21dcb332b9454ab4c31f2437a72561.jpg

Did you buy the Dual Rec new or used?
If used, have you replaced any tubes?
V1 is the first one to try if you haven't yet. Output tubes will affect this as well.

Also try to add more mid to your eq (if you haven't yet)....that's where the harmonics hang out, not in the highs as you might think.

With any Mesa, you really need to experiment with tone control settings...they are not known for the "set 'em all to noon and forget it" approach, like most other amps.

All my Mesa's deliver pinch harmonics easily, even my Triaxis with the Recto board (closest to what you have).
I have a feeling you will find them if you keep trying.
Good luck! :)

Old BF Shred said:
Did you buy the Dual Rec new or used?
If used, have you replaced any tubes?
V1 is the first one to try if you haven't yet. Output tubes will affect this as well.

Also try to add more mid to your eq (if you haven't yet)....that's where the harmonics hang out, not in the highs as you might think.

With any Mesa, you really need to experiment with tone control settings...they are not known for the "set 'em all to noon and forget it" approach, like most other amps.

All my Mesa's deliver pinch harmonics easily, even my Triaxis with the Recto board (closest to what you have).
I have a feeling you will find them if you keep trying.
Good luck! :)

Its 4 months old and the tubes are fairly new....

JJ 6L6 POWER VALVES AND

ELECTRO HARMONICS 5U4GBEH RECS

THE PRE AMP VALVES ARE MESAS

getting chezzed off really that it isnt just happening easier

is there any other thing i could try....maybe swap rthe pre amp valves around. There doesnt seem to be a problem with the gain from what i can tell anyway...

im stumped

:?

boosting the mids a little seemed to help a little...but they dont seem to sustain long at all which is then issue.. i can get them but they are not strong enough and long......the 1st 5 strings aint too bad...quite good but the bottom sting struggles the most.. ........i can get them better after playing around a little with the eq but....they still seem a little difficult..maybe as i only play at low volumes at home....i cant really go too mad at the one time ive had ithe head at band practice due to the cab only being rated at 60 watts....(which i have now sold) maybe more volume will help with that???????

after the 1st day i wasnt as impressed as i thought i would be....but after a few hours tweaking the eqs all over the place....its getting better and better.,,, theres a LOT of tone options in that box, I know that much....

ONE other thing i wasnt sure about was setting the solo output levels............on the back the effects loop....should the ASSIGN switch be on FTSW AND THE send AND mix BE IN THE MIDDLE/NORMAL?

Wait a second. Tell me again why the amp is responsible for bad pinch harmonic technique?

fluff191 said:
Wait a second. Tell me again why the amp is responsible for bad pinch harmonic technique?

HA! Again!

I too was asking that question... I never had to adjust my technique when I got a new amp.

But one day, once upon a time, I did notice them sounding different... and I then realized the mid and treble response from my guitar also seemed compromised.

It ended up being a cable issue.

bad technique???? so thats wat you think...ive played for 15 years so its not that..i see how thats how it may sound from that end but another thing.......hammering notes on also......they dont seem to cut through on the lower strings but come through well on the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th strings.....seems to be an issue with the lower strings.....maybe the freq..................weird.....

more mids for sure....my orange rocker 30 was always very middy so...that was set too low for a start

as for picnhed harm, they wernt sounding as id expected thats all.....i didnt mean i cant do them...i meant it was hard to get the right sound......i think the pickups affect that also..maybe swap for some emgs....the jackson i had was great for them i just hated the feel of the guitar so it went after a week.i figured it wasnt the tone i was after...but that was eventually put down to the amp i was playing....the jakko had the right tone for pinched harmonics for sure...whereas the seymour duncans in the epiphone lp custom aint as hot...the higher output the pickups the easier they are and the better they often sound...i fitted a low output handwired bareknuckle in the bridge of the 97 gibson les paul standard and thats a lot harder to pinch than the epiphone. and dont sound as good either

i mentioned the peavey 1x10 piching like ffff......all over the place....its so easy...the amp seems to make it even easier, but the mesa seemed diff....just been playing and messing with the eq seems to hav helped a lot.....i can get them on the clean channel now...

back to the handbook again i think.......getting cloer to the tone i like each time i play it now so......least im heading in the right direction..cheers for the info

pleased i bought this amp..i usally only have guitar stuff a few week and sell it due to be a fussy f**ker..think i will be keeping this a little longer.

just got the slipknot sulfur tone......awsum.

the bottom end blows me away on this amp totally, its brutal....and thats with a matamp 2x12 cab at low volume in my room..crazy

I noticed the same thing when I got my Dual. Amp is not as solo friendly as modded Marshalls/Bogners and the lot. Try a 808 and some EL34's and you'll be in Zack country.

Sorry for getting off subject here BUT

-------Fluff191----------
I almost went wee wee when i saw your JAWS PARODY CLIP here :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have to agree with Old BF Shred here with regards to V1 preamp tubes can drastically alter the tonality of your pinch harmonics.
with enough volume and moderate amounts of gain you should be able to achieve pinch harmonics with any mesa amp.

"Its 4 months old and the tubes are fairly new....

JJ 6L6 POWER VALVES AND

ELECTRO HARMONICS 5U4GBEH RECS

THE PRE AMP VALVES ARE MESAS"

my ears seem to gravitate towards el34 based amps over the 6l6's when saturated i seem to enjoy the overall dynamics of pinch harmonic notes themselves.
stock mesa v1 pre amp tubes aren't exactly the best sounding pre amp tubes out there, but they will certainly produce a pinch harmonic

GOOD LUCK Moodyedge :)

Mesas ALONE don't respond well with harmonics unless you crank them up IMO. Low volumes don't do them justice at all.

Get a Maxon OD808...makes harmonics fly even at lower volumes.

I'm selling one if you're interested.

Eric

hey people! No offense responds here! The guy needs help, not comments regarding bad technique or whatever. He has Already mention that harmonics fly with his other amps, so please, before you post read everything.

On the other hand, try getting your volume up. If it does not work, try activating your fx loop, don't worry if you don't have anything connected to it. Put the send level to 12:00. Adjust the output of the amp hi and your master low and viceversa. If this doesn't work, try cranking it or buy a diztor, preamp or boost pedal!!

Best of lucks!

VijfZiel said:
hey people! No offense responds here! The guy needs help, not comments regarding bad technique or whatever. He has Already mention that harmonics fly with his other amps, so please, before you post read everything.

dont mean any disrespect i am sorry if I offended you Moodyedge. I too could have problems getting pinch harmonics out of my amps if i didn't have them dialed in properly.
TURN EM UP AND LET THE PINCH HARMONICS FLY!!

moodyedge said:
i usally only have guitar stuff a few week and sell it due to be a fussy f**ker..think i will be keeping this a little longer.

I would recommend giving your equipment time. the longer you have it the more you will learn about it. I have a friend who does this. I drives me crazy when he comes over to jam or work on recordings because he is constantly putting down his equipment when i tell him to give it time use his ears and dial things in. The only cool thing about it is i get to see and check out new gear all the time.

VijfZiel said:

On the other hand, try getting your volume up. If it does not work, try activating your fx loop, don't worry if you don't have anything connected to it. Put the send level to 12:00. Adjust the output of the amp hi and your master low and viceversa. If this doesn't work, try cranking it or buy a diztor, preamp or boost pedal!!

Best of lucks!

eXactly.

they are much better now and with as little more volume, or as much as my head can take in my room they are more defined. The mesa seems kinda mushey how I had it which wasnt helping. When I get a recti cab I can give it some at the next band practice in a few weeks and really see what it can do

dont worry about offending me, people who get offended get on my nerves. Theres nothing in danger if someone says something you dont like so its no big deal. The sooner people learn that the sooner this planet will be a less conflict ridden place to be. (little deep for a guitar forum?........anyway) ha

thanks for the help

It seems the only way I can get decent PH on my rectifier is to use a boost. but that might be beacuse I don't really use PH, I just like to play "My Curse" sometimes. I hope you get it setup to you're liking.

Latest posts

Back