Price of 80's Mk IV...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AutoBoogie

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been reading the forums in reference to an older Mk IV (A) vs (B), and i've decided to try and find an A, based on two factors: 1) Tonal Purity, and circuitry (common to a C+), and 2) Historical Significance. I Would never part from this amp, and if I do, it will be in my last days, should my children not want it. Thus, I am here asking everyone this question... If a new IV costs close to $1900, what would be a good price range for a Mk IV (A) Short Head with simulclass, reverb, etc., and color wise black/black. Also, I am completely aware of the scarcity of a IIC+; how would a vintage Mk IV A compare to the IIC+ as far as how hard it is to find one on great condition; is it safe to say there are at least double the amount of Mk IV (A)'s out there than a IIC+ ? Thanks a lot for the help every1 i really appreciate it ... Also, if theres anything else all of you can add to educate me on the IV's that would be great... Thanks and happy holidays to every1 !

There's no such thing as an 80's Mark IV. They were introduced in 90 or 91. Can't remember which. Most people can't tell an A from a B unless they have both sitting next to each other. There isn't any such thing as a Mark IV that's not fully loaded. They're all the same as far as simul-class, eq, verb, etc. Look to spend betwen $1000 and $1200.

I believe the Mark IV A was introduced in '89, but I don't think there is any "historical significance" about these amps. I mean no one is going to look for a A because it's the old model... I believe many would prefer a B over the A instead

and you'll find all the tonal purity you're looking for in the B too

Hmmm, I thought it was '90 but I'm sure I'm wrong. Go with the "historically significant" Mark IVA. Your amp tech will thank you for it. Why would you want to get fresh caps, resistors, etc when you can have something historically significant? :lol: By the way, you get a stereo loop and satellite out with a B. I would (and did) go B.

My Mark IV is from late 1990. The SN is 105x. Paid $1,300 for it and a 2x12 halfback. Sold the halfback for $325 so it cost me $975. 8)

See, the reason behind this whole "historical significance" was that the owner of a local MESA retailer told me all this bull**it, ( he was probably trying to sell me an older one at a later time)...I just wanted to make sure there isnt a difference in sound like in a 2ch Dual Rect. and a 3ch. which i own. Thanks a lot guys... So everyone would vote on the IVB huh ? Anything else I should know about these IV's before buying one? Thanks

Oh yeah, is it REALLY true that the IVA's sound closer to a IIC+ ? I find that a little hard to believe as they are different amps, but someone on the forum said that, along with that the newer ones sound much more dark? Just wanted to know what owners, not speculators thought of this.

I have a IVB... it's anything from dark. It's one of the brightest amps I've ever played through. Rectos are dark, Marks are not.

I owned two Mark IV A's(1992 models) and now own a 2006 B head, and there is a difference in sound. The A is more open and somewhat brighter. Not much though. It doesn't matter what version you're playing imo, just get the one that you can get the cheapest in good shape.

The stereo loop and satelite out are cool to have but I don't us em.

Latest posts

Back