Preference? - open back cab or closed for Lonestar head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmcfee

Reaction score
Has anyone compared the two types of cabs to see how they change the sound?

I tried both configurations and I like closed back a lot more.
When I bought my Stiletto 2x12'' cab along with the LSC head, since I had always used open back amps before, I built myself an open back panel to replace the closed one on the cab. I played it for a few times (a couple of months more or less) and it wasn't bad, but when I switched back to the closed back configuration I ended up liking it much more: to my ears the sound is more "compact", powerful and balanced especially on the dirt side but I like it more even on the clean/crunchy tones.

Hope this helps! :wink:

Thanks. I have been using a 2x12 closed Marshall cab but I wondered if an open back might tighten up the bass notes.

rmcfee said:
Thanks. I have been using a 2x12 closed Marshall cab but I wondered if an open back might tighten up the bass notes.
You're welcome :wink:
Well, I think it will work in the opposite way...at least in my case I felt like the open back configuration lost some bass frequencies and made the overall sound a little more bright and "grainy", less compact. Guess it would work a lot different considering the cab/speakers used: the Lonestar cabs are open back with C90 or Jensen Alnico, while I'm talking for my Stiletto closed back with V30s...surely not the same beasts and all different from your Marshall cab.

Well perhaps if I have some time I'll take the back off the Marshall cab and see how it sounds.
I am running the Lonestar with the bass and mid almost turned off (on the dirty channel) and it still has lots of bass and mid. It sounds really great turned up!

Latest posts

Back