Pre amp tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MK IIB

Reaction score
Is anyone still running their vintage amps with the original preamp tubes?
My Mark IIb has just been in for a service and the tech replaced the output tubes with new Mesa STR 440's.He left the preamp tubes in but they are years old.
They are General Electric Fender stamped made in USA tubes and quite possibly the original preamp tubes,and if that's the case they are 34 years old :)
Would you advise changing them just because of the age of them?Would new production tubes sound any better?Or maybe not as good?
Thanks.

MK IIB said:
Is anyone still running their vintage amps with the original preamp tubes?
My Mark IIb has just been in for a service and the tech replaced the output tubes with new Mesa STR 440's.He left the preamp tubes in but they are years old.
They are General Electric Fender stamped made in USA tubes and quite possibly the original preamp tubes,and if that's the case they are 34 years old :)
Would you advise changing them just because of the age of them?Would new production tubes sound any better?Or maybe not as good?
Thanks.

Normally, pre amp tubes do not require replacement, since they age very slowly. But if you're curious as to how new tubes would sound, buy a few and replace the first tubes (the first stagees and the ones that handle the distorted stages have the most impact on sound, check the manual to see what each tube does) and see if you like it. I tend to like really old pre amp tubes the best... YMMV.

If the amp still sounds good and is strong,leave them be.Old stock preamp tubes last a very long time,its not unusual for old GE's to last as long as you describe.Current production tubes will not last but a couple years and most likely wont sound as good.

stokes said:
If the amp still sounds good and is strong,leave them be.Old stock preamp tubes last a very long time,its not unusual for old GE's to last as long as you describe.Current production tubes will not last but a couple years and most likely wont sound as good.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Latest posts

Back