practice amp & ebay

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbagg

Reaction score
I need a good tube practice amp...maybe THD univalve? anyone got any cool suggestions? I already have a 30 watt head, need something quiet...er.

also, Mark IV on ebay for 2 more days.

well, you have your 30 watt head.... but may I suggest:

I have a Black Tweed Peavey Classic 30 with a British Made Celestion Vintage 30 speaker in it. Gosh darn it's a great little all tube amp for what it costs. Easy to transport to practice I think. It was not good enough for me until the speaker swap though. That is absolutely necessary in my view.
Have you thought about one?

mine looks exactly like this one but I have the V30 speaker...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Classic-30-Amplifier-Amp_W0QQitemZ330269113015QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Item number: 330269113015 (if link gets butchered)

I think they even look cool...

I have been very happy with my Ampeg 15 watt Jet II J-12R. Only one channel so I use a Fulltone Full-Drive 2 Mosfet pedal for overdrive and it sounds great. I can practice at low volumes or use it at smaller gigs without any trouble, as long as it has a mic. The cleans are incredible and when you overdrive the amp, volume around 6, it has a very satisfying tone. Uses 2 el84 power tubes.

I have been very happy with my Ampeg 15 watt Jet II J-12R. Only one channel so I use a Fulltone Full-Drive 2 Mosfet pedal for overdrive and it sounds great. I can practice at low volumes or use it at smaller gigs without any trouble, as long as it has a mic. The cleans are incredible and when you overdrive the amp, volume around 6, it has a very satisfying tone.

Originally it was a combo but I wanted a head so I made this one for fun. In a combo format you can't put many different speakers in the box, not enough room for anything very deep. That's what inspired me to put it in a head.

These amps can be had fairly cheap on the bay.

AmpegHeadCab.jpg

GIG4FUN said:
well, you have your 30 watt head.... but may I suggest:

I have a Black Tweed Peavey Classic 30 with a British Made Celestion Vintage 30 speaker in it. Gosh darn it's a great little all tube amp for what it costs. Easy to transport to practice I think. It was not good enough for me until the speaker swap though. That is absolutely necessary in my view.
Have you thought about one?

mine looks exactly like this one but I have the V30 speaker...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Classic-30-Amplifier-Amp_W0QQitemZ330269113015QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Item number: 330269113015 (if link gets butchered)

I think they even look cool...

+1

I love my Classic 30 also!

Hi !
For a really good practice tube amp you should try the Peavey JSX Mini Colossal. It is a plug and play amp that sounds great with all my guitars. The only thing I could put the finger on is the tremolo, that isn´t as good as on most older vintage amps. The attennuator shines. I´ve had both a Univalve and a Bivalve, and the attennuator on those were useless in my eyes. The tone controll on the Mini Colossal has a really wide range, so you have enough treble on hand to make it sound good at real low volumes too.

I also use a Peavey Valveking R8. Very cheap and nice sounding, but not nearly as good as the Mini Colossal. It is a bit heavey on mids and becomes a bit "boxy" with too much gain. However it was only one third of the price, and works really well in a stereo bedroom setup.

Right now I use them both with a T-rex Room-mate reverb and is very happy with that. If I play late evenings or early mornings I use only the Mini C with the attenuator down low.

I also like my Victoria 5112, but that oene is much more vintage sounding, and a tad too loud for bedroom playing.

Stian

Latest posts

Back