Power section problems, need some help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PilotSSW

Reaction score
Hi guys !

I have enjoyed this forum thoroughly and learned quite a bit.

Anyhow, I know a I have a problem with the lonestars power section. I just picked up a stiletto ace and realized that even in the fluid drive mode, there is no hum with the amp. My lonestar hums like a ***** even without a guitar plugged in regardless of channels. I plugged the the pre of the LS into the stiletto power section and it sound far better.

Without the power tubes in, there is still hum from the speakers regardless of mode. When put in the 10 watt mode, there is crackling from the amp regardless of where output is set. The tone when playing has next to no presence or treble in it.

The other thing that worries me, is when you turn the fan off and put your ear up to the amp, you can really hear the caps buzzing.

Should an amp normally hum some ? It is loud enough to hear over the fan and you can hear it across a decent size room if it is dead silent. I believe the power tubes are stock (I bought it used) and as I was told by mesa it left the factory in 07.

From what I know, this sounds like a filter cap going bad, but on a 3 and 1/2 year old lonestar, it just doesnt add up. Maybe if the tubes were bad and I didn't know it, but even so.

I would appreciate any input you have.

~ Sean

Latest posts

Back