Poll: What music did you buy your Mesa for. (Primary use)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of music are you playing with your Mesa?

• 1. Metal, Death metal, intense distortion.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Hard Rock (distortion)

• 3. Blues (clean or slightly distorted)

• 4. Country

• 5. Jazz (clean)

• 6. Folk- instrumental (Clean)

• 7. Classical (Clean)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yohimbe2

Reaction score
I'm curious to see what type of music people play with their Mesa Boogies. Please answer with the most common music you play and the music that you purchased your amp for.

thelordofcheesecake said:
Fusion - it's not on there!

Sorry, I knew I'd miss a few types. Just choose between clean and distorted...this is close enough.

Fusion is clean right?

It is hard to pick just one but I chose the one that is primarily play. I mean really, the top three can all be played at once or at least within one song.

Russ said:
It is hard to pick just one but I chose the one that is primarily play. I mean really, the top three can all be played at once or at least within one song.

I hear you. Lets say you play death metal, Classic rock, and old time blues. Classic rock would be a good middle ground to chose as it is in between the two extremes of distortion types.

My main idea was to find out what most peoples main playing type is. At the moment I'm 90% Blues. (Easy choice for me)

Looking at the poll results so far, it is funny because over on the Marshall forums people see the Mark IV as a country bumpkin's amp. I would think this more of any Lonestar but then again I suppose you could use any amp for just about anything.

I chose metal from the choices because the majority of my Mark IV use is to play heavy on the Lead channel. I tend to switch to clean to play blues when I calm down and dial back the Lead to play hard rock though I should use R2 more.

yohimbe2 said:
thelordofcheesecake said:
Fusion - it's not on there!

Sorry, I knew I'd miss a few types. Just choose between clean and distorted...this is close enough.

Fusion is clean right?

Fusion - it's both clean and overdriven, but not modern high gain. I mostly just use my Mesa for the clean though, so I was just being awkward for the sake of it :wink: .

I voted for number 1 but more specifically I play metalcore like Botch and Norma Jean and also heavy Post-Hardcore like The Bled, Saosin, Underoath etc...

I play in a Classic Rock cover band, but the reality of it is: we play EVERYTHING! Jazz, Blues, Country, and smaltzy wedding songs! (Please cry for me!)

When I bought my first Mesa, I was doing harder rock and playing louder--but even with this band, the Mesas are perfect gigging amps. I try to match up the amp to the size of the stage and venue, but sometimes it's just a whim as to which one I take.

I think the biggest fallacy of thought when it comes to Mesa amps is that they don't get good clean tones. I think the clean tones are really good. I have a bass player and a keyboardist in the band--so the low end would get really crowded if I used an amp with a huge bottom end, like a Fender. My clean tones are great!

And nothing sings like a Boogie!

I use multiple guitars, with a G&L Legacy as my main guitar; and then a Les Paul. I usually have another G&L (one with hotter pickups) as a backup; and then there's often a 12-string, a Taylor acoustic-electric, and a 5-string banjo. The Mesas get great tones, no matter which guitar I'm using, with minimal fuss.

Bill

I get some really nice clean tones with my LSC. And the the treble control on chn. 1 allows me all sorts of tones when panned against the gain. With no reverb they are very crisp. It also can break up nicely the harder I hit my strings....I enjoy that!

However I must say I cannot get that super "chimey" tone I get out out my Rivera designed 1983 concert II. And the spring reverb in the fender is very nice sounding. Too bad that amp is over 20 years old and on it's last leg.

:mrgreen:

which reminds me to start a thread about the LSC two reverbs.

My own brand of metal combining Metallica, Dream Theater, and to a lesser extent, Megadeth styles of metal. After my RG, my Rectoverb is me best friend :D

Wow, 52 votes and less than 2% voted country imagine that...

Lurch said:
Polka +1

I run a mic from my accordian into the red channel of a Recto.

Too funny.... Reminds me of the movie Good morning vietnam where the sargetn made his troups listen to polka instead of rock...

:p

Back