Pickups for my Single Rectifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chelch

Reaction score
I currently have a stock gibson les paul standard with the stock pickups. I play alot of hardcore/metal. Are there any pickups I could swap in the guitar that would give me a more ''metal'' sound? Sorry for the newb question :D :D

Also..how difficult is it to install new pickups?

PRS tremonti <--- great
Duncan JB i think
gibson dirty fingers
Duncan invader
duncan xn2 (although these are really loud and tend to feed back)
dimebucker
dimarzio evolution

EMG's work very well with the Rectifier series.

If you are handy with a Soldering Iron you should be able to change Pickups it's just a matter of Soldering a few wires together.

Unless you know what you are doing I would recomend getting it done professionally.

I tried it myself with a cheap Soldering Iron and ruined some of the components in my guitar.

I guess I have some research to do. What are the name and model of the stock gibson pickups in a standard?

I used EMGs for a long time--kinda bright, but in a Les Paul, they really work for a wide variety of music, and I did not find them overly "hot."

Battery changing finally wore me out, so now I've got an Evolution Bridge and SD Neck. I find the Evolution pretty good when overdriven, and a bit "honky" when clean. If you're used to EMGs, pinch harmonics on the Evolution will disappoint.

In a live setting, the SD is too loose and dark when overdriven, but fairly nice when clean, with good response to picking style.

Both pups are very good, but I'm trying Duncans next. I'll let you know in about a week.

chelch said:
I guess I have some research to do. What are the name and model of the stock gibson pickups in a standard?

Traditionally, the LP Standard used to come with 498 Bridge and 490 Neck pickups. Lately, though, Gibson seems to have embroiled itself in "pickup wars," and now offer 500s, 496s, Burstbuckers, '57s, etc, etc, etc...

Check out http://www.gibson.com/Products/Accessories/Gear/Pickups/Pickups%20Guide/

It's ridiculous! :)

What makes a metal sound? I'm a rock, jazz, blues R&B player.

To my ears, this is what I hear since I do love Metallica (pre Black album):
- Leave the low register for the bass
- compression
- noise gate set high
- hot pickups
- really overload the front (preamp)

Close or am I showing my age with so many younger dudes and nu metal out there.

Tom Anderson H3 (bridge) and H1+ (neck). Nice and hot but still toneful...lets the guitar shine. Tight and percussive when you want it, yet still sings for lead. EMG's work well for some people but with a fine instrument like a Les Paul, why not let the the tonewoods work their magic?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will check out the pickups that have been mentioned. I really like my les paul along with the pickups. I crank the gain almost to the max just because the type of music I play. I was thinking of actually getting a second guitar for my ''metal'' sound. What do you guys think of the IBANEZ S520EX . Here is the link

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S520EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=519964

Looks pretty sick..not sure how it would sound in a rectifier.

Koprofag said:
Because in the end it doesn't really matter. Pickups won't radically change the tone of your guitar and amp, but more or less the amount of distortion you get at low levels.

Completely disagree. Pickups are a very significant link in your tonal chain.

hey my first post.... :lol:

I would say leave the LP as is because it is a good rock\blues axe...cause you gotta play some Zep\G&R type stuff too.

You wont be sorry if you get the Ibanez though, I have a JS1000 and for me it is perfect and i play it more than my SG with 57's.

Not sure but those pu's in the S520EX may be re-branded EMG's, otherwise i wouldnt buy knockoff pickups and would want real EMG's...not sure though.

Latest posts

Back