pickup height

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirksflooring

Reaction score
I've heard a number of people over the years say that you should get your pickups as close to your strings as possible without hitting them and that you should always keep your pickup tone on 10 and adjust it with your amps tone controls. Does this sound right? It makes the signal into my amp very harsh.

It all depends on your taste. The closer the pickup are to the strings the more signal you're going to get but the magnets are going to dampen the string vibration a bit. Further away the strings will vibrate more and you'll get more sustain, but less signal. Just find a good balance that works for you.

The tone thing I don't know about but I guess it's a little more comfortable to just have one knob to turn instead of two.

Sounds like you're getting advice from some really heavy metal dudes :)

Fred said:
Sounds like you're getting advice from some really heavy metal dudes :)

Fred is right, if you are serious about tone back 'em off, I keep mine about 1/2 inch away from the strings

3. The distance between pickup and string is a very important factor for output and sound.

As a general rule for a starting point:

For the bridge pickup - put a nickel on top of the pickup under the high E string and play the highest note on that string. Adjust the height on that side of the pickup till the string touches the nickel. Repeat the same with the low E string, but use two nickels on top of each other. If this gives you too much output, you can reduce the height slightly. Don't forget that twice the distance will reduce the output by about 60%, and the sound will lose some lows. NOW, you can adjust the neck pickup to match the output of the bridge pickup. For the sound test, use stage volume.

4. The position of a pickup is the key for the tonal response between lows and highs.

One of the main flaws of multi-pickup guitars is the difference in sound between bridge and neck pickup. If you adjust your amp to get the right sound from the bridge pickup, your neck pickup might sound too bassy; or it's the other way around when you adjust the amp that the neck pickup sounds right. Also, a pickup in the neck position generates a much stronger signal than the same pickup in the bridge position. This is caused by the amplitude of a vibrating string which reaches, normally, its maximum at the center of its speaking length.

5. The position and the angle of the attack is where You, the player, takes over.

Experienced players can create all kinds of sounds, just with their right hand technique. About a year ago, I was playing at a blues jam, and during the break, a young player asked me, "How do you switch so fast from the bridge pickup to the neck pickup, sometimes in the middle of a fast phrase?" I told him, " I don't", and showed him my guitar. He couldn't believe it, my guitar had only one pickup - the neck pickup. I told him all about the hot and the sweet spots on a string.

Try for yourself -- take your guitar and switch to the neck pickup and set your amp on low volume. Pluck your string with a medium thick pick at a right angle with medium force. Start to pluck the string at the end of the fingerboard, and, slowly, go up towards the bridge. You will recognize a steady change in output and tone, and somewhere close to the center between bridge and neck, you will find that beautiful sweet spot. Now, change to a more forceful attack, and also change the angle of attack to 45 degrees; you'll be surprised of all the sounds you can get! Then, repeat the whole process with different pickup selections. Single coil pickups are generally more sensitive to these changes than large humbuckers. It requires a lot of practice before you can master this technique, but with practice, you can duplicate the effects of a wah wah pedal just by changing the force, the position and the angle of the attack.

hmm dmt,

unless you're bill lawrence himself, then you should've mentioned where that was taken from.

http://www.billlawrence.com/Pages/Pickupology/Introduction.htm

~trem

I just sample different pickup heights until I get to the sweet spot. I find it is VERY different on every guitar....magnet type is also a big factor here.

Modern pickups have more than enough oomph to them - I wind up backing off all my pickups far far away from the strings. It improves, tone, clarity, and warmth while giving up absolutely zero sustain, bite, etc.

Back 'em off, imo.

Latest posts

Back