Pick-ups

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humbility

Reaction score
I JUST got a new guitar. An Ibanez SZ520QM. I like the guitar a lot but I wanna swap out the pick-ups. The ones that come with it are Duncan Designed Ibanez ones. not a big fan of that pick-up. a bit thin sounding. I was wondering with all the people here what do you all find will drive something like a single Recto for heavier rock? Something with punch but warm, clear. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thnx
Hum

PRS Tremonti pups! I have the set in my Ibanez SZ520 through my dual recto, and it is a killer setup! Amazing, fat, in your face tone! The pickups are perfectly balanced, and very high output. They get much more out of my recto than my Duncan JB could.

The Duncan Designed are similar to a JB/Jazz if I remember correctly, but not as good sounding.

Anyway, I use either an EMG 85n/81b setup (clean and clear, hugely aggressive, but not neccissarily warm), or a Duncan 59/Custom 5 setup (very fat, rock and roll, but not neccissarily the most articulate setup).

I run EMG 85/81 in my Les Paul and the 496/500 set if I run passives. I play mainly Gibsons though.

If you want punch but warm and clear you may want to try a Paul...

With the stock pickups they get just that on a clean channel. In a gain channel they get really fat and thick.

PRS Dragon I pickups worked good with my old DR. JB and EMG pickups also match well with the Rectifier line.

I second the PRS tremonti p/up... they are amazing.

Also the Duncan Invader sounds baddass as well

I have this one pick-up in my Jaguar. Its a Dimarzio...I got it used but I have NO clue which one it is. Its a cream color with black poles. It sounds full, and creamy but not chuggy. I guess I am looking for something like that but clearer and more full. I have had so many coments on that guitars sound...and when asked what I did to it...LOL I can't tell them what pickup is in it. :| Got lucky guess. But if I could figure out what it is...I'd even buy another like it. I think I prefer Dimarzio's...of course without having tried many PRS made ones.
Hum

The X2N, from what I hear, has way too much output to be good. It feedbacks almost no stop, and is very uncontrollable.

The double blades make for a slightly sterile tone also.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
The X2N, from what I hear, has way too much output to be good. It feedbacks almost no stop, and is very uncontrollable.

The double blades make for a slightly sterile tone also.

Ultra-high output passives are way too compressed for anything except mindless shred....imo.

I found them good for heavy rhythm back in the 80's when the scene was about bands like.... Metallica and Megadeth. You just have to know how to control your feedback and use it I guess. I never had any problems with them. In fact I found them to be better than EMGs at times. I am a Gibson player that doesn't like shred though I like heavy fast rhythms. The Ibanez user might use them for shred. I tend to use them for signal strength. You don't always have to run your guitar volume dimed (that is a hack's approach). You also don't have to always use a ton of gain either. I have found it better to ease off the gain a little to get tone and note separation. It actually showcases your playing too if you don't hide behind your distortion so much. I have also never heard of a pickup sounding compressed.... How would you guys rate the Evolution or the Fred?

Russ said:
I have also never heard of a pickup sounding compressed.... How would you guys rate the Evolution or the Fred?

I refer to any pickup where the output kills your dynamics as compressed. If I can't pick lightly and have it sound quiet, or hear separate notes within a chord the pickup is too compressed IMO.

I've never tried either of the above two pickups.

That said, I should quantify my above post by saying that high output pickups are fine for low/mid gain amplifiers that need the extra kick to spur the preamp on......but for high gain amps of any sort (unless they have a specific sound you can't get in a lower output pickup) I find them pointless. I find it sounds better to use a low output pickup with the amps gain turned up than it does to use a high output pickup with the amps gain turned down.

For instance, one of the reasons I hate the JB is because it sounds like I always have an OD turned on. Too compressed, big mid spike, and a huge lack of dynamics. Sounds nice for leads, but gives a crappy rhythm tone (IMO).

And yes, I ride the volume knobs. I typically setup my rhythm tone for 7, and crank them up to 9 or 10 for leads.

That said, everything I said above is subjective. When it comes to something like tone, use whatever sounds good to you.

Well a lot of people dog the 81/85 setup too. They are active and tend to be very EMG if you want to give it a descriptor. EMG has its own sound. You will either love them or hate them. Real tone freaks hate them typically. Guys that use a lot of distortion tend to like them. They really do suck your tone though. This is the reason why I have a few Les Pauls. I would never put them in my Les Paul if I had only 1. I might move them out of the Les Paul to the Explorer though. I thought they would sound better than they did in the Les Paul. I actually like the original set for a more classic tone.

Actually I find the EMG to sound compressed in a full volume situation. Also it feels rather synthetic with a vintage tube amp if you really want an honest opinion.

I agree with the low output pick-ups ina high gain amp theroy. I found out that the Dimarzio I have in my '62 Jaguar is exactly that. A PAF. Only its Cream colored with black polls. So I ordered a black one for the SZ520. Oh ibanez4life, how do you like the grovers on that guitar btw? I need new ones as the stock ones are kinda poop.
Hum

They're amazing! Never go out of tune...infinitely better than the stock ones. Definitely invest in them. What I like about the grovers is that they are auto locking.....no extra knobs or anything to lock them....just put the string through and tighten.

I felt good when I picked it up. I could see the potential in it. New pickups, new tuners, and it would still cost less than my main guitar and it will be a sweet little back-up. That and I like projects :>
Hum

Humbility said:
I JUST got a new guitar. An Ibanez SZ520QM. I like the guitar a lot but I wanna swap out the pick-ups. The ones that come with it are Duncan Designed Ibanez ones. not a big fan of that pick-up. a bit thin sounding. I was wondering with all the people here what do you all find will drive something like a single Recto for heavier rock? Something with punch but warm, clear. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thnx
Hum

Something with punch, but warm and clear? Try an Anderson H3+ in the bridge and an H1- in the neck. I'm not sure what kind of tone and volume pots are in that guitar, but my guess is that they're both close to 500K, which will make the Anderson sound a bit better.

Latest posts

Back