Pick up choice for Rectifiers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch71

Reaction score
OK, I've noticed lately that the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails in my 84 Squier Strat stay "tighter" than my Gibson Flying V 496r and 500T pick ups. Before anyone says get a Mark IV or a Stiletto Duece or Trident, understand that I know rectos have that looser low end sound and love it.

So what are some other pick-ups for Rectifiers that you would recommend and what position to place?

I've had an emg81(bridge)/85(neck) but hate changing out batteries.

If I go for a rectifier, I think I'll have Kent Armstron pickups to go with it, they're tight, yet surprisingly open. I got this tip from a former guitar tech for Within Temptation, he stuck them in all their guitars. For about 60 US$ a piece, it's a cheap experiment. :)

Bareknuckle's are awsome, I used to have several sets, spread over several Les Pauls. They made the custom ordered Seymour Duncan antiquities (double cremes) sound like something you'd find in an old plywood Les Paul copy.
Great service at BK too, Tim will bend over backwards to get you the exact pickup you want.

Guitarzan said:

Dimebag (RIP) used those. I don't play any of his stuff but love it all the same. It's a thought. It'd look ssssswwweeeetttt in a Flying V too.

It' s seems like I was changing the 81/85 set i had a lot. Maybe somehting was draining the battery.

I had an early Bill Lawrence 500L in my 72 SG Hybrid that sounded AWESOME !
I've always been partial to the Seymour JB/Jazz setup the past few years, excellent tone.
I'm curious about the bareknuckles though.
You guys have a web link?

Did you leave your guitar cable plugged in all the time? If so that is why, with active pickups if you are not playing you have to unplug your cable to the amp.

clutch71 said:
Guitarzan said:

Dimebag (RIP) used those. I don't play any of his stuff but love it all the same. It's a thought. It'd look ssssswwweeeetttt in a Flying V too.

It' s seems like I was changing the 81/85 set i had a lot. Maybe somehting was draining the battery.

DiMarzio Super Distortion (bridge), PAF Pro (neck) on my hand built guitar- both are set up for dual/single coil switching and sound GREAT either way and cover alot of tones-

I also have an old Kramer Pro (pawnshop special) set up with a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge and a Carvin (yeah, a Carvin) TBH-60 twin blade humbucker set up for dual/single coil switching in the neck. The TBH in single coil mode, gets some of the most beautiful clean tones and also some great blues tones through the RK's channel 3 'raw' mode, and the Duncan '59 grinds as well as anything when played in vintage and modern modes-

The Kramer's body is the plywood cheapie (bummer...), but it has some unbelievable great harmonics!

-DLM

I generally have Seymour's or EMG's for my guitars..

The Pearly Gates Bridge/JB Neck for my Gibson LP Standard is a great overall tone... but I also have a EMG 85 Bridge/89 Neck for my Gibson LP Custom. I change batteries once a year... and the tone is smoking.

As far as the tone with other guitars... I have a 1965 Fender Mustang w/ 50's PAF's that gets a nice clear tone for my Rectifier...

Funny thing ! I picked up 2ch DR and now prefer the Flying V with the stock 498/500 set to the Hot Rails in the Squier, how weird is that!

Got to be the tube config!

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Latest posts

Back