Pete Townsend speaker configuration

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyplant

Reaction score
This is a two part question , thank you for your assistance .

I've seen a few videos of The Who and Pete has his combo and two cabs . I was wondering how he may have it set up and what my possible set up could be . Is he (or do you think he is ) running the combo in the 4 ohm input and paralleling the two cabs into the other 4 ohm input ? I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't use all (8,4 and 4 ) speaker inputs at once . Is that a proper config ? and ....

I have four 8 ohm cabs . Would it be ok to parallel two 8 ohm cabs each into the 4 ohm inputs , running all four at once ? Would this be proper ohm configuration ?

These would be run off of my Mark lll head .

I'm pretty sure that the two 4 ohm speaker outputs on a Boogie are intended for a total load of 4 ohms. Two 8 ohm cabs per jack would be a 2 ohm load, and even though Boogies tolerate impedance mismatches pretty well compared to many other amps, I wouldn't risk it. As far as what Pete was doing, I couldn't say. There's every possibility he was running a load that was theoretically unsafe. On the other hand, assuming an 8 ohm speaker in the amp, he could easily have been running a pair of 16 ohm cabs in parallel thus producing an 8 ohm load, which in parallel with the combo's speaker would have resulted in a total load of 4 ohms--easily achievable with the Boogie.

jimmyplant said:
I have four 8 ohm cabs . Would it be ok to parallel two 8 ohm cabs each into the 4 ohm inputs , running all four at once ? Would this be proper ohm configuration ?

These would be run off of my Mark lll head .
Depends on how it is wired. You could wire all four 4x12's in a way that equals a 8 ohm load and run it off the the 8 ohm output.

Like said above you could have it wired in a way that equals a 2 ohm load & would not recommend doing this at all.

I also do not recommend guessing .... make sure you have it correct. It could fry your transformer.... etc.

Go to page 16 and forward in this manual...it gives some information you might find useful

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark1%20Reissue.pdf

Latest posts

Back