Perect tube combination in Sereies I RK!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadKinger483

Reaction score
Well after about 2 weeks of experimenting with tubes (both power and preamp) I think I finallt came across the perfect combination. For power tubes I'm using a quad of 6L6S (JJ's) tubes from Groove Tubes, with a 4 rating. I'm also using a duet of E34L's (JJ's) with a rating of 6 for a slight more headroom type of tone from the E34L's in the clean channel. For preamps im using a Chinese 12AX7C from Groove Tubes in V1 and this is where I think the key is to the clean tone on this amp. I find this preamp tube to be slightly brighter on the highend yet FULLY ROUNDED OUT in tone. I tried a JJ's in V1 but, hated it. The JJ sounds completely DEAD compared to tis Chinese tube. The cleans on the amp are AMAZING!!!! I'm using 4 6L6's with the diode setting and the tones are almost exactly the same as my friends 2x12 Roadster combo amp, believe it or not. We've A/B the amps for about a week with the same guitar, pedals, ect. and the tone is almost identical. In V2 and V3 in using JJ ECC83's and these are the perfect compliment for channels 3 and 4. AGGRESSIVE RECTO MODERN TONE all the way to Classic Dual Rectifier Vintage tone. For V4, and V5 I have 12AX7M's from Groove Tubes. Like in most cases everyone is subject to thier own opinion, but I trly feel this is the best combination of tubes for this amp. the 12AX7M in V1 is also a good choice but i found it to lack in highend a little. But, then again I was looking for a Fender type clean sound form channel one. I had ordered tubes from Eurotubes for the whole amp and they were biased hotter than usual because Bob told me they would sound warmer and better but, they sounded horrible and I had 2 preamps fail on me and 2 of the 6L6's. After looking into Groove Tubes's extensive testing process I am a customer for life; and I'm still getting JJ's. If any of you have the resources or the time to experiment with your RK Sereis 1 I suggest you try this combination.

Back