People Under Estimating The Small Body (MKIV)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bshizzle

Reaction score
I remember when I first got my MkIV combo, setting up to play and someone goes why the hell does that thing have wheels? It's so small. So I chuckle and tell him to try picking it up.He goes: "Oh Now I See"

I just thought of this while reading some threads about more people who have the misconception that the bigger the venue, the bigger the amp you need.

What do you guys say when someone says that you can't play big venues with XXXX amp because it's not big enough?

I realized how many, guitar players even, don't understand the concept of what a PA system is really for.

I remember my shock when picking up an EV loaded Mark II for the first time... :shock:

For me, I have two volumes to consider when it comes to setting my volume: the noise floor of the drummer, that I wish to be heard above, and the noise ceiling of the singer, who I wish to hear over my guitar. Unfortunately, there's often little to no room between the two, so it becomes a choice between hearing my guitar (I always have wattage to power over the drummer if need be) or hearing the vocals, and often the other guitarist (also the singer).

If my Subway Rocket had a switchable serial effects loop, I could do without my MkIV in virtually all situations, but it doesn't.

My motto is: if you're the guy moving and setting up your gear, a half-stack is way too big for the gig. Much as I love the sound and feel of a 4x12, I never could let it breathe at a gig without blowing the overall mix and pissing off the soundguy, and usually any audience members in line with my cab.

Ya, I'm moving to a head and 2x12 now, but that is the biggest I shall go. Only real reason is for the improved bass response and speaker and micing options.

A head and a thiele is also very cool.

I know a lot of people have preset opinions when they see a guy sporting a little amp on stage, but if you got the chops and your tone is dialed, they will come around.

i hate the small body heads because its so hard to change pre amp tubes without taking it out of the head cabinet.
i have big hands... medium heads are the way to go :lol:

hehe, great stories!

combos were always so heavy, that's why i decided to go with a seperate head/cabinet setup.

that reminded me of the time when i used to play full time, on the road..

i was using my short head MIIB, and had just gotten rid of my behemoth marshall 4x12, and had bought a pair of Roland closed back 1x12 cabs, and put my EV SRO's in them...

LOL

stealth mode.

so i had these 2 little 1x12 cabs with 150W drivers in each one..

and we set up in a club doing a double header, and the other players that were sharing the stage with us and our gear, were making fun of my rig.

until we played.

LOL

Sometimes people will act like my Mark III won't be loud enough. It has yet to let me down however. Once I turn it on people usually say something like "...Oh"

You guys need to study your boogie history! What you are describing is exactly what Randall Smith was aiming for when he built the original Boogie. A small amp that tricked people by having gobs of power! What is surprising is that after all this time there are still guitarists that are shocked by the volume a boogie produces. Where have they been?

You guys need to study your boogie history! What you are describing is exactly what Randall Smith was aiming for when he built the original Boogie. A small amp that tricked people by having gobs of power! What is surprising is that after all this time there are still guitarists that are shocked by the volume a boogie produces. Where have they been?

Agreed. All those EVH wanna-be's out there can keep their Ego Stacks and hernias! My little MKIV gets painfully loud in small and medium sized rooms. Good efficient speakers help too (EVM-12L anyone?)

Several years ago, at the end of a night a friend offered to help carry equipment out to my car for me:

So, he grabs the handle on my Mark IIC combo w/EV whcih is sitting on the stage and I turn around to pick-up something else. When I turn back he's looking all around the amp. I ask him what he's doing and he says "I'm looking for where it's bolted to the floor" because it won't budge.

After laughing, I handed him a mic stand to carry instead. :roll: :lol:

Looks can be deceiving...over the years, lots of people have been surprised how heavy that little amp is....

Latest posts

Back