Orange cabs with Mesa's...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turmoil

Reaction score
i've talked to quite a few people and read a lot of articles about people using Orange cabs with mesa amps.
has anyone here ever used this setup? i love mesa cabs but i'm just curious why some people are all over these Orange cabs?

example: the guys from lamb of god recorded their new album using Mark IV's and Orange 4x12's as opposed to the Mesa Traditional cabs like they use live.

I loved my DR through my friend's Orange 4x12... leaps and bounds ahead of the Mesa cabs. I don't have much experience than the one 'honeymoon' usage so hopefully someone here uses it more often and can give you better info.

i have a orange setup with a mesa dr 2-chan but im sorry i cant really help you out much because i have never even played a mesa cab.. i hear my cab is much better tho. alot of people like the sound.

sorry i cant help much

thanks for the info guys!

Verity...is it at all possible for you to record any clips :D
if not it's cool. could you possibly describe what it sounds like?

i have one clip with vocals over it from my old band..its really harsh but i could put it up for you. i dont own any recording software its something on my list

wanna know something sad..i was gonna get rid of it.. because i dont really like it for some reason...i think i want to down size..

OK i will enlighten you a little. People seem to like the Orange cabs because they are real pure vintage 30's. Where mesa cabs are vintage 30's, but they are hand picked and mesa tends to pick the darker less midrange sounding. I have even heard mesa specially orders there v30's that way but have no proof to back it up.

Flat out if you want the same effect of a orange cab, replace all the speakers in your mesa cab with Vintage 30's bought from celestion that are made in england directly.

As to construction, well we all know mesa's are made like tanks, so I can tell you it is not because orange is a better cab. If anything it is more because most of the mesa cabinets out there are oversized with very little traditionals.

OH yeah the mesa's are suppose to have a bigger bottem end. Avatar speakers use to sell a hellatone 60L speaker which was a V30 broken in with lower bottem end that a big guitar company they couldnt mention puts in all there cabs. or you could buy the normal hellatone 60 which was just a normal V30 broken in.

Last year, I happened to check the rear panel of an Orange head, and it was made in Britain. The matching cab was, tada....made in USA!

This is nothing new. Japanese manufacturers have sent electronics from the far East for decades, and the heavy speaker cabs have been US made.

The pedigree of the components and cab should be researched, for the price Orange is getting these days in the States. You need to know what you are getting for your money.

Orange is **** sexy, aint it?

aside from speakers it also has a lot to do with the cab contructions..... boogie uses 13 ply birch while orange uses 18 ply birch.... also look at the dimensional differences:

Boogie: 32 7/7 x 30 1/8 x 14 1/4
Orange: 29 x 31 x 15

the sound reflections react differently in both cabs because while the mesa is taller, the orange is wider and deeper.... so the characteristics in the cabinet along with the differences in the voicing of the v30s (all speakers will sound a little different even if produced in the same batch) will create a different sounding cabinet. I prefer the Mesa cabs, over the orange but thats just my opinion. Actually if you want to get a great cab for half the price of either the mesa or orange try a basson... i was suprised at how punchy they are.... that mdf makes a world of difference.

I'm getting into this Orange hype. Thinking of selling my Mesa cab and get an Orange 4x12. Now they have 2 different ones. The 16ohm V30 and the 8ohm Celestion G12K-100. Obviously the 8ohm would be the match for my Mark IV but the 16ohm would still be a safe mismatch. Which one would be favored here for the Mark IV?

Back