Opinions needed - Quad Pre vs. Mark IV??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdortona

Reaction score
Can folks give me some ideas about the sound/tonal diffrences between these two, especially in terms of "high gain". Not looking for a "true" recto sound, but definitely want the gain and voicing capabilities on-tap to get in the ballpark. I have a Mark IV now that I am testing out and LOVE the R1 Clean sound. The R2 and Lead channels seem to be everything from Santana to close to high gain sorta Recto sounding. Does the Quad have such abilities? Thanks!

Matt

P.S. I plan to post this on the Rack Board too.

mdortona said:
Can folks give me some ideas about the sound/tonal diffrences between these two, especially in terms of "high gain". Not looking for a "true" recto sound, but definitely want the gain and voicing capabilities on-tap to get in the ballpark. I have a Mark IV now that I am testing out and LOVE the R1 Clean sound. The R2 and Lead channels seem to be everything from Santana to close to high gain sorta Recto sounding. Does the Quad have such abilities? Thanks!

Matt

P.S. I plan to post this on the Rack Board too.

The Quad will do what you are looking for. It is a very nice Pre. The reverb on it stinks though. The Tank is very small and it tends to feedback when playing loud. But, You have one extra sound to play with compared to the MKIV. So it's just a matter of preference.....

The Quad I had was killer for everything I've ever heard anybody do with any Mesa.
I like combos now but the Quad and foot-switcher (special nine-pin cable: beware) is still a great memory for massive sound (Simul 295 could do EL-34's too). Certainly MUCH more distortion than the Studio preamp that preceded it.

I think my ears still are ringing from that rig, a decade ago...

Thanks for the advice. After doing a little bit more research, I decided to go with a Mark IV.

Matt

Good idea. Quad's are a getting a bit long in the tooth now, and have some relays that give problems to some guys though mine were OK.
The nine-pin cable is a bit delicate too, and you have to put something in to get anything out, even if it's an adapter with a paperclip stuck into one of the many 1/4" jacks in the back (forgot the foot panel one night). :oops:

I'm into combos now and prolly evermore. My new Mark I Re-Issue is all I think I need anymore, though the F-50 lifted its skirt at me once last year. :wink:

Latest posts

Back