Ok so the fuzz in my LSS is the nature of the beast...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vogelsong

Reaction score
I had started a post about the fuzz I was hearing in channel 2 of my LSS, especially with the OD side turned on.

That discussion is here http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=50501

So I packed up my guitar and went over to my friends house to play his and as it turns out his does the same thing. Channel 2 play a full chord, and there is this fuzz, fizz, or whatever you want to call it in the distortion.

I play this amp in the 5 watt setting 99% percent of the time but it does do it in all settings.

The problem is I always played it at lower volume and never heard this. Now that Im gigging with it Im playing louder and hearing this for me is a bit of a problem, I don't like it.

It's my friends feeling that it's a characteristic of tubes, so I guess I have to play some other stuff and see what I think.

Do any of you guys understand what it is Im hearing, and I'm wondering what you think.

Vogelsong

New tubes, Reeder mods, Bias mod, ext cabs w/different speakers, etc. Hence the sig. Join the club. Alot of peeps don't like the 2nd ch stock. It was to fizzy for me also on my LSC. Not to mention to farty. Oh well, lots of amps don't have good drive ch's. The ones that do become legends. The opening group of mods mentioned above just gets it to sound like the clean ch with some crunch and compression. And is a vast improvement over the stock 2nd ch. Btw, I use a pedal board w/ 4 drive pedals on it. One flavor of drive just ain't enough.

A characteristic of EL84s is that they overdrive really easily and have a bit of a 'hairy' edge to them.

Out of curiosity, what are your settings so I can dial them in on mine?

screamingdaisy said:
A characteristic of EL84s is that they overdrive really easily and have a bit of a 'hairy' edge to them.

Out of curiosity, what are your settings so I can dial them in on mine?

On channel 2 the settings are as follows

OD 9, Gain 1, treble 2 (pups aren't real bright), mid 11, bass 8 (Pups are very punchy), P 12, mstr 9 OP 1230, solo 1130.

Hope this helps, my channel 1 is almost identical with the gain around 11 and some other slight variances. I believe my channel 1 presence is a little lower also.

Vogelsong

I did the 2nd Reeder mod and that solved it for me. Did the 1st mod and reversed it. Sounds sooo good at gig volumes now. No fizz. Put in new JJ 6L6's too...power and pre and it sounds great. My N4 Paduak is a very dark sounding guitar and coupled with a dark amp, naturally..... you get a dark sound. But the changes mentioned above made the amp sound monstrous live. Sometimes I swear I'm playing through a 4x12 instead of a 1x12.

messaboog1e said:
I did the 2nd Reeder mod and that solved it for me. Did the 1st mod and reversed it. Sounds sooo good at gig volumes now. No fizz. Put in new JJ 6L6's too...power and pre and it sounds great. My N4 Paduak is a very dark sounding guitar and coupled with a dark amp, naturally..... you get a dark sound. But the changes mentioned above made the amp sound monstrous live. Sometimes I swear I'm playing through a 4x12 instead of a 1x12.

Good to know, I've spent the last 3 hours reading up on both mods. Im definately interested in them as they both are simple enough. I can solder okay, Im no expert but I can get the job done. I may tinker with the settings first before I do mod 1. It sounds like bumping the master, and running the gain low on channel 2 has done the same thing for some guys. I'll try that tonight and see how that goes first.

I'll let ya know how I make out.

Vogelsong

Try as I might, I cannot hear this fizz or hiss or what ever it is, as you describe it. I have a new LSS, bought from the shop two weeks ago today, and I play on average an hour or two a day, mostly blues and bluesy rock. I tried various combinations with and without the solo engaged, hard-bypassed etc.

On ch 1 my settings are: Gain @ 12 o'clock; Treble same; Mid 9 o'clock; bass 12 o'clock; presence 10'clock; master 12 o'clock. On ch. 2: Drive engaged, and at 10 o'clock; Gain betwteen 12 and 1 o'clock; Treble between 12 and 1:30; Mid about 10:30, Presence, same; Master 10-10:30. While I generally keep it on the 5 watt setting, I use the same settings for all of the controls in the 15 and 30 watt settings. The "crunch" toggle is set to "normal". The couple of times that I played with the solo function, I engaged the FX loop, set the Send Level at 12, the Output at 12 and Solo at 12. While the sound is a bit diifferent, and obviously a bit louder, there was no fizz or hiss,

And I certainly don't hear any farty bass with my controls set the way they are either. I definately know what a farty bass sounds like. I have a Fender PRRI, which I did a number of mods to to get rid of the notorius farty sound that happens in that amp when the volume is around 12 and the bass is at 12. I too have read quite a bit about those reeder mods, but I don't hear anythng coming out of that speaker other that what I would expect.

Having the option to switch back and forth between my 6V6 driven PRRI, and my EL84 driven LSS is fun, and an interesting experiment. Channel 1 on the LSS can be made to sound VERY close to the PRRI, and in fact my daugfhter and I both agree that the LSS is cleaner, and warmer sounding, possibly partly due to the cab and speaker size in the LSS. However, if I crank the PRRI a bit and hit the strings hard, in like a power chord, the Celestion G10 Gold alNico that I put in it sounds almost identicle to the LSS in Channel 2 when I do the same. Crunchy, raw and biting. But definately no hiss or fizz. Just EL84s doin' their thing.

messaboog1e said:
I just can't see how the Reeder 2 mod has anything to do with fizz, and what is fizz in this case? Now if you're talking about less fizz after the tube change then that would make sense.

Back