Ok..LSC..Other Speaker Suggestions Pleeeze!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripit007

Reaction score
My C-90 just crumbled, not sure why. Thinking about buying another but I am up for other suggestions from those that have already replaced theirs and like the change. Opinions pleeeeze!

Well...
There are a lotta good speakers out there to choose from...it's all really just a matter of taste. The stock C90 is a great speaker...but if you are looking for a leaner 'crisper' classic sound consider trying a Celestion G12T-75. You will loose a few decibels volume (mainly in the midrange)...but it articulates very specifically.
I use one in my Lonestar Combo which stays at a place I play almost every week. I do country, Oldies, Classic Rock and Blues. It handles them all well. Of course it's only a 75-watt speaker (so I use it only at 50-watts). Keeep that in mind.
I have used (and continue to use) the ElectroVoice EVM12L with excellent results...but be forewarned it's a very 'precise' speaker which adds little coloring. It does in a way sound a lot like a C90 that has been 'sterilized' somewhat.
I use the JBL-E-120 with it's massive awe inspiring 109-ounce magnet! It makes even the EV EVM12L look small! It is a VERY clean sounding speaker....almost clinically clean. When I use it...I do so paired with a 2X12 cabinet of C90's to bring some 'smeared-harmonics' back into the equation.
The Eminence 'Commonwealth' is an almost dead ringer for the JBL-E-120. Sounds the same too.
The EVM can pretty much be used alone...just keep in mind...it'll have less harmonic overtones (translate that as distortion) than the C-90. The JBL and Eminence Commonwealth need to be paired with something like the C90 in another cabinet...they are just too clean by themselves.
Tha G12T-75 sounds great in a 1X12 cabinet or combo...but sounds thin in a 2X12 combo or cab. If you need to use the amp at 100-watts, I'd advise using a combo with 1X12 ext cab...or the head with 2 1X12 cabs. The G12T-75 sounds good alongside a Mesa C90 in seperate cabinets.
Also...look up Bob L's contributions to the Lonestar speaker issue. He has some good suggestions, born of real-world experience.

Cheers, Charles

I'm using a LSC head, and I just replaced 4 c90s in two 2x12 lonestar cabs with 4 Vintage 30s, and I couldn't be happier. Gone is the obese bass, accentuated is the sweet midrange, and sweetened are the highs. Your cleans won't be as stupendously hi-fi and grit-less, but I tend to prefer them with the ever-so-slight natural breakup the V30 provides. The amp is cutting through the mix better live with these speakers. I really feel like the Vintage 30 is an ideal pairing with this amp, and perhaps should have been the stock configuration.

If you go the V30 route, order one from Avatar speakers (he sells re-branded V30s as "Hellatone 60s" - they are broken in for you and you can peel the Hellatone label off to reveal an intact original Celestion V30 label. $89 a piece.)

I'll also mention that I've done the Reeder Channel 2 gain/volume mod with extremely satisfying results. Thanks Charles!

Yeah thanks Charles, swapped the pots out also. I have a Recto 2x12 (closed backed) cab with V30's that Im gonna pair this 1x12 combo with when gigging. Its just too much to lug around to and fro practice, so looking for a speaker to pair with the v30s that will also be great on its own. Thanks for the recommendations!

Latest posts

Back