Ok...dumb question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollowSoul

Reaction score
on the back panel, what the he11 is the external switching for? (chan1-chan2-chan3-solo-loop) and what all can you plug into these inputs?
I have a BOSS GT8 that i'm running directly into the return and was wondering.....is there a way to hook the GT8 lets say directly into chan2 so that i can leave chan1 and chan3 for its natural clean/distortion????
I tried allready....all i get is buzz and hum!?
TIA

The external switching jacks are so you can use some kind of controller to switch channels. Nothing fancy.

+Mike+

I don't understand how you have the Boss unit rigged, " directly into the return"? But you can assign an effects unit to only one channel via the loop assign knob!

Yes, do you mean you have it directly into the input? But as stated you can assign what channel you want it on with the effects loop.

jbird said:
I don't understand how you have the Boss unit rigged, " directly into the return"? But you can assign an effects unit to only one channel via the loop assign knob!

I think he's using the amp as a Power Amp (bypassing the preamp) for his GT8 amp modeler. I have done before with a Digitech GNX3000.

Hollow soul,

I'd suggest that you check the manuals on the Mesa site...good instructions in those things...should explain everything regarding those inputs.

Ok... here is how i have things hooked up,
first...the gear
Boss Gt8
Roland GR20

My ultimate goal was to use the GT8 only for it's effects (bypassing it's preamp) so that i can use the Triple rec's distortion and clean. This is done utilizing the 4cm (4 cable method), i'm kinda rusty on it but it's something like..
guitar-input gt8
gt8 out-mesa return
mesa send-gt8return
gt8 sent-normal input on mesa

this hook up works....however i also have another piece of gear that is vital to the mix...the Roland GR 20 guitar synthesizer.

I previously had things hooked this way also..
gt8 out-normal input mesa
gr 20 out-mesa return
wet/dry mix on mesa set @ 12oclock..(gr 20 needs clean chanell)

this hook up also worked....but the gt8's preamp is now pushing the triple's preamp, at low volume it's hunky dory....at gig volume it sounds like hammered whale sh1t.

so now i have things hooked thisway...
guitar-gt8....
gr20 normal out-gt8 return
gt8 out-triple rec return (wet/dry mix set at 12oclock)

everything sounds fine at gig volume.....however everything the mesa has to offer...is bypasses

so... i was hoping that with the "external switching" i could hook the gr 20 directly into channel 1
leaving the mesa fx loop open so that i can utilize the 4cm for the GT8

(sorry for the long post)

HollowSoul said:
on the back panel, what the he11 is the external switching for? (chan1-chan2-chan3-solo-loop) and what all can you plug into these inputs?
I have a BOSS GT8 that i'm running directly into the return and was wondering.....is there a way to hook the GT8 lets say directly into chan2 so that i can leave chan1 and chan3 for its natural clean/distortion????
I tried allready....all i get is buzz and hum!?
TIA

You know how your Mesa/Boogie amp has a foot switch that changes between Ch 1, 2, 3, Solo, Loop? Those jacks are for players who don't want to use the Mesa foot switch and use external gear to change the chanels on your amp.

A simple example is the TC Electronic G-Major effects processor. It has switching jacks. By connecting those amp jacks to the G-Major with the correctly wired cable, when your MIDI foot controller calls up preset #34 in the G-Major, it can switch your amp to Channel 3, while calling up preset 12 sets your amp to Channel 1 and so on.

The GT-8 has a single Amp Control jack, but I'm not sure how that jack works -- with the right wiring, I suspect the best it will do is be able to change two channels on your amp -- only ch. 1 and ch. 2, not ch. 3 and not the other features.

For what you described use-wise, you just put the GT-8 in the effects loop of your Boogie amp. You don't do anything with the switching jacks. You just continue to use your Boogie foot controller to change sounds in your amp, and you program sounds in your GT-8 without amp modeling or cabinet simulation so that it's just doing effects.

Scott

Back