Ohms for dummies

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markchatwin

Reaction score
What are some general rules regarding combining speakers? For example I have this 8ohm Thiele 1x12 and Mark IIC Combo. Do I keep the combo's speaker attached to the 8ohm output of the Head and hook the Thiele into the combo's 4ohm output? Or do I have each speaker hooked into the Head's 4ohm output?

If I had just the Thiele running off the Head what's the difference between hooking it into the Head's 8ohm output vs the Head's 4ohm output? I used to know this stuff but have forgotten what the do's and dont's are, thanks...

As most, if not all, Boogie manuals state, their amps aren't sensitive to most mis-matches, but I wouldn't go below 2 ohms total.
For two 8 ohm speakers/cabs, you should plug each into a 4 ohm jack. This is safer than the other way around, i.e., a 4 ohm cab into an 8 ohm jack.
The Lone Star manual, and I'm sure many other of the later models', have fairly comprehensive sections at the end about hooking up various cabs. They're down-loadable at the Mesa 'site.

Here's what's your lookin for: http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/excab/excab1.html

Latest posts

Back