Ohms Calculator

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone have a good link to a ohm calculator or have some advice on the best way to hook up this setup
Triple Rec outputs:
16ohm 2x8ohms 2x4ohms

16ohm 4x12

6x12 cab
Mono 8ohms
Stereo 16ohms each side

I will be running it mono

Thanks Ive read about calculating ohms but Im still a little confused as to how it works. Links are a aprecciated if you dont wanna have to type out some long essay. But either way thanks in advance.
D.:.

It won't work.

You can use the 16 ohm 412 and one side (16 ohm) of the 612 into the two 8 ohm outputs of the rec, but you CAN'T combine 16 and 8 ohm cabs on one amp without the risk of a mismatch.

what are my options then? a series box? slaving my amp out?
what will happen if I have a mismatch? Will tubes die out faster. Will my amp start smoking. Ive been running my black 16ohm cab with a sunn 16ohm cab I wanted another black and my 6x12 cab should be here any day.
thanks.

Rewire one of the boxes to have two cabs with the same load(2x8 or 2x16).

Mismatch on the low side will cost you your amp and mismatch on the high side will give you different volume's on each cab.

You can use a 16ohm and 8ohm cab at the same time, you just plug the 16ohm cab into the 8ohm output and the 8ohm cab into the 4ohm output (i did this for a while with my DR and my 5150 cab and recto 2x12 cab). Just make sure when plugging 2 cabs in you cut the ohms ratings in half and plug into the correct outputs.

You can also use the stereo cab in stereo mode and then wire all three 16 ohm wires in parallel for an impedence of 5.3 ohms which you would then connect to the 4 ohm output on the amp.

Russ said:
That calculator is pretty cool. Thanks toaj :D
Glad I could help, I've found it very useful several times. Just be sure to expand it to full screen width to see all the speaker combinations at the bottom of the spreadsheet.

Latest posts

Back