Not what I was expecting... (Mark IV review)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lerxst88

Reaction score
This isn't so much of a question but an observation and maybe a little lesson on tweaking amps.

I just got a Mark IV yesterday and I have probably put 10 hours on it. No joke!

On my way to pick it up (looong drive to Wisconsin!) I was listening to lots of Dream Theater and early Metallica, both of which rely heavily on the Mark series sound. I was excited by what I thought would essentially be a shredder metal amp which might encourage me to speed up my playing a bit. It even looks menacing! Stealth Black all over, jammed with knobs and an EQ, and even yellow orange and red LEDs. Nothing too friendly looking about it!

After lots of playing, I have actually found the Mark IV to be a killer VINTAGE style amp, with more in common (I would guess) with a Mark I or II and of course a Fender Princeton. This isn't to say I cant get crushing metal tones but I LOVE the amp with the EQ off and using that one big *** knob instead! Looks really are deceiving on this one. In fact its almost cute just how little it is! The sound quality is startlingly huge however!

The clean is fantastic. I always have liked a brighter clean with a big Fender bottom end which this amp delivers in spades since it is at its core a Fender Princeton. The RHY 2 channel is still a bit of an enigma to me. Occasionally its too clean, too dirty, too bassy, too trebly but mostly "morphs" from SRV dirty strat rhythms to barely-overdriven Trey lead sounds. I say it morphs because this amp changes sounds SO much. Either from me twiddling knobs or just my mood changing how I play, RHY 2 sounds different all the time which can be annoying if they were mostly bad sounds. Since many are good sounds it keeps me inspired which is something my former amp just couldn't do.

The lead channel is fantastic for vintage stuff. I absolutely love the EQ off here occasionally. It brings back all the mids and smooths out the sound very well. I am using a guitar that is set up like a Brian May Red Special and the Mark IV just nails the Brian May sound, given you use the proper pickup selection.

With the EQ in, I get instant Metallica (or other heavy metal sound) but frankly it's just not as fun as the other sounds. Plus everyone and their mother uses the Lead channel + EQ for everything so I figure there needs to be someone out there using it much more sparingly.

I am using this amp mainly as just a combo. I have an Egnater 4x12 with V30s, however, the sound doesn't really get "better". It gets louder and some bass frequencies aren't attenuated as much but the Mark definitely doesn't NEED a cab. I have had some amps that without a decent cab, it wasn't worth turning on. I should also mention I did a bit of power tube swapping. The amp originally came with 6L6s and I was having issues dialing out some flubby bass on RHY 2. I tried 2 EL-34s and 2 6L6s and it got much better. Finally I stocked it with 6V6s and I think that may be the ticket! Much more manageable output and much less mud.

Another thing I should mention is I am AMAZED at how good this amp sounds turned down! Sure it sounds better the louder it is but I love the fact that I can bring a 1x12 Fender princeton with all the goodies anyone could ever ask for down to my apartment at college!

I now see why people think so highly of this amp and Im sure I can recommend one as more than just a metal amp.

Now you know why some call it the world's greatest practice amp. When playing low, try the Lead channel with the mid-boost voicing. 8)

Mark IVs don't really like the bass pot above two or three; you can be more generous with the mid pot. I found it's better to add bass with the eq.

Some complain about Rhy 2, but I love it. It's great for the Stones overdriven Fender tones. Rhy 2 can also supply great mid-gain lead tones, but you need to be clean because there's little room to hide. I've also found some great Marshall-type crunch rhythm tones in the Lead channel.

6V6 tubes will definitely bring a vintage vibe.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Mark IV guy...but I think 'Princeton clean' is a bit far fetched :) Glad you're enjoying it though.

dodger916 said:
Mark IVs don't really like the bass pot above two or three; you can be more generous with the mid pot. I found it's better to add bass with the eq.

Some complain about Rhy 2, but I love it. It's great for the Stones overdriven Fender tones. Rhy 2 can also supply great mid-gain lead tones, but you need to be clean because there's little room to hide. I've also found some great Marshall-type crunch rhythm tones in the Lead channel.

6V6 tubes will definitely bring a vintage vibe.

+1 you can also try EL-34's for a more vintage tone. They can sound great in class A mode with a Les Paul type guitar.

A few things I forgot to mention:

The effects loop sounds great and works just the way I like it. Plug and play!

For you guys that might be new to the Mark IV or were just wondering how it works, the two EQs work differently than how they do on most amps.

For the first two channels they use two stages of preamp gain. In this sense, Gain doesnt equal distortion, just boosting a tiny signal to a louder one. The EQ is located between the two so there is minimal loss and still some reasonable adjustment that can be done with the EQ. The lead channel adds in two more gain stages adding the total up to four. Once you start using four gain stages, the signal gets over driven and compresses, hence distortion. For most amps, the EQ would be placed toward the end of the series of gain stages for maximum control of the sound. The Mark series for whatever reason keeps the EQ in the front of the amp. So while youre dialing sounds, try to remember that you are controlling what frequencies from your guitar you want to hear rather than shape the distortion itself. Thats what the GEQ is for!

If you're not sure what Im talking about try a setup like this:

Marshall style:
guitar>distortion pedal>eq pedal>clean amp

Boogie (GEQ off)
guitar>eq pedal>distortion pedal>clean amp

Boogie (GEQ on)
guitar>eq pedal>distortion pedal>eq pedal>clean amp

I havent played it enough to give a definate answer but Ive been using class A for EL-34s and 6L6s and Simul for 6V6s.

Im not sure why Mesa chose such fancy names for what is basically a half power switch.

lerxst88 said:
I havent played it enough to give a definate answer but Ive been using class A for EL-34s and 6L6s and Simul for 6V6s.

Im not sure why Mesa chose such fancy names for what is basically a half power switch.

you sound like a proud new new father. LOL

i want me some 6v6's dang it.

my mark iv spends most of its life class A tweed simul - more than enough amp for most clubs in that config.

i love MY mark iv. mine mine mine MIne mine mine

Latest posts

Back