Not-So-Heavy Roadking Tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3SpeedChicken

Reaction score
I've read a couple of posts where folks were wondering how the the Roadster/Roadking/Dual Rectos do in less-than metal settings. I have a Roadster, and don't even touch metal (though it will go there :wink: ) The heaviest we go is kind of Alter Bridge-ish in drop D (and the Roadster is VERY happy there!).

We are in the studio now, and finished up this song today. It has not been mixed or mastered yet....but you can hear the Roadster in the rythms and most of the solos (one was done with a Fender Hotrod Deluxe and Marshall Guvnor pedal).

Anyhoo....moral of the story is that these amps are GREAT at any kind of rock. Here's the tune...

http://www.tiff-counter.co.uk/mushroomfarmweb/whmp3/wrong-ID389700304967361.mp3

Cool tune man..... quite a bit different than I expected. I really like acoustic driven rock and the tone of the Roadster you have dialed in there is perfect for this style of music and this song.

Good stuff man!

PS. some FYI: This clip will probably get moved to the rigs and tones section.

Sounds really good. I think it also sounds very good for not being mixed out yet. Really smooth song and tone.

Really nice tones there mate, any chance you'd be willing to share some of those settings?
:wink:

Much appriciated.

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

I don't remember the exact settings (one of those studio tweakage thingys that was on the fly), but I know I used the Channel 3 Raw. Gain was around 4-5 I think. Mids set around 5, lows around 7-8, and highs and presence both around 7.

I do use a Boss ME-50 in front...so there was a tad bit of compression added as well (around 2 on the compression setting). The guitar I used was a Strat with H/S/S config.
The overdriven rythms were done with the humbucker, and the leads were in position 4 (?.....position between the neck pup and middle pup). Funny....I never use that pup position for anything. But that tone I had dialed in sounded really rich and creamy with it.
Hopefully we will be able to bring out more of that Loud-But-****-That-Sounded-Good-Tone from the leads that we had in the studio when we mix it down. To me, the recording sounds lame compared to what it actually sounded like. And it was loud!!

Back