Noob ?:2 channel Recto vs 3 channel Recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eldi

Reaction score
Hello folks, I apologize for what may appear to be a long noob post, but I'd like to hear from people who have either owned both or have lots of experience with playing through both the 2 channel & 3 channel Dual Rectifiers. I've been reading reviews on Harmony Central, & there seems to be some bashing on the 3-channels. Is there some serious tonal differences between the 2 of them? Although I have to admit having 3 channels would be nice, but if the old 2 channels have better tone I think I'd rather sacrifice the extra channel for better tone. I currently own an '82 Mk IIb combo (which I plan on holding on to) & I'm wanting a half stack again (I used to own a Marshall JCM 900 50 watt Master Volume w/ Celestion 75 loaded 4-12 many years ago) with not only a more aggresive (i.e.: more metal-like) distortion sound but with more tonal versatility as well, & I think the Dual Recto might be way to go. (I don't want to spend $2,600+ on a Road King, digital/solidstate modeling amps are out of the question, Triple Rectifiers have more power than I'd wish to have & I'm also considering a Mk IV & maybe even a Single Recto.) So, would it then be worth holding out for a used 2 channel? (I'm aware that they don't make them any more)

Thanks for the input!:)

Welcome. Yeah, you'll probably hear both sides of that debate but here is my take on it....

I have played both the 2 channel and 3 channel DR's. I own a 3 channel DR however, so needless to say, it is more dialed in to what I like than when I played a 2 channel a while back that I didn't own. My overall opinion is that the clean channel is better on the 3 channel DR than the 2 channel, and that I can dial in a great distorted sound on my 3 channel DR that I feel is just as good, if not better than the 2 channel version.

I play in a hard rock cover band so versitility is key to me and having a third channel is huge, but I don't feel like I sacrificed tone by making my decision to go with the 3 channel DR.

Just be caucious of the people on eBay who are trying to dump their 2 channel DR's by saying "the 2 channel Recto's are way better and the 3 channel ones suck". Of course they will say that, but saying one is significantly better than the other is pretty subjective. Also, 3 channel dual and triple recs usually demand a higher price on eBay. So if the 2 channel ones are so much better, how come they don't demand higher prices?

That's my $0.02

Never played the 2channel. Bought the 3ch. because i got a really good deal on it new. I really like it a lot. To me channel 3 is like the furious higain sound of the metal bands, like godsmack or something. the second channel sounds a bit more mellow and "organic," a term usually given to the 2channel rectos. The second channel is more like the old incubus recto sound. It's just a matter of taste. If you have a chance to play the 2ch. version go for it. I'd love to, and if i ever play one that sounds better than mine, ill buy it.

I'm hoping to come across both a used 2 channel DR & a 3 channel DR in a store some time so I could just play through both of them & let my ears be the judge. I mostly play metal/alternative rock, but I also dable in country, blues, funk, roots/classic rock, and even ventureing into ambiant & experimental downtempo lounge music, many of those styles is already adequately covered by my Mk IIb, but I really crave that thick, growling low end that alot of Recto players are getting (like the old Incubus sound) which my Mk IIb has way too much midrange & high end to get that chunk. Another thing I'm looking at is also how well the amp acts with various OD/Fuzz boxes (If I get a 2 channel, I may use my TS-9 for a mid/db/gain boost for solos, & run my NYC Big Muff Pi through the clean channel for some raw, fuzz sounds) as well as with other assorted modulation, delay & reverb effects. (I have mostly vintage or vintage reisssue stompboxes, but I'm considering getting a Lexicon or TC Electronics rack unit sometime in the future as well)

i've never played a 2 channel dual rec, so my opinion doesnt matter. BUT, i will say this. hyping them up sure is a great way to bring up the prices. maybe that way they can unload them for profit and buy something newer...maybe with more...versitility. that may come in the form of..channels. just sayin is all.

I was really interested in the Stilleto when it was first anounced, but after reading some of the posts on this message board and some of the reviews on Harmony Central, the Stilleto seems to be quite a letdown. Mesa hyped it up as their answer to "British Valve Amps" (I interpreted that to mean that they were trying to give it a more "Marshall-esque" sound) and it sounds like the general conscensous is that they failed to deliver on that one. I'd really rather not purchase a newer, modern Marshall, for I think the quality, value, and sound of Mesa amps are far superior to anything made by Fender & Marshall (Not to mention their customer support as well) within the last 15 years, even if you have to spend an extra 10-25% for something comprable. When I get the cash scrounged up I may go ahead and demo a Stilleto along with the Dual Recto & Mk IV and let my own ears decide. It would be cool if Mesa added the Stilleto sound to a future version/series of the Roadking, is anyone aware of Mesa's efforts/intents of doing this? I also wish Mesa would reissue the Mk II C+ amps as well, if they did, I'd sure as hell would buy one:-D

I think we have a better chance of an Ice Age before we see a IIC+ re-issue. The real problem is that there are good and bad sounding amps of the same make or model. I have played dozens of DR's and they all had something a bit different. I bought a 3 Ch. DR in 2001 and ended up hating it. I broke even on E-bay. About three months ago I plugged into a current 3 Ch. and it was a great sounding amp and no footswitch pop.
I scratched my head in disbeleif. I do find that the Road King is a very good sounding amp across the board. It defines what evolutionary steps the DR took to finally come to a reliable and toneful amp.

IIC+'s are the same. Some just have it and some have more of it.
It's impossible to explain. My two combo's are great sounding amps with sweet cleans and superb gain, but my head version has gain like mad and fantastic cleans. It's a freak of nature.

I've owned both a two channel and a three channel dual rectifer. In my opinion, the two channel is head and shoulders above the three channel model.

IMAG0027.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

Latest posts

Back