NEW TUBES FOr A LONE STAR SPECIAL

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fendertillnow

Reaction score
I just purchased a Lone Star Special off Ebay. Got it today..Beautiful looking amp..But 2 tubes were broke in shipping. Can I just go get a standard el84 or should I buy a special tube::And where??Please help I need to check this baby out..

Not sure, but I think you need to get M/B tubes our your warranty will be in jeopardy. If it's second hand, might not be an issue. I'd also be having a chat with the seller. Those tubes shoulda been packed better.

In reality, however, any pair of EL84s matched by a reputable dealer should be fine. If I were you, I might look into getting a whole quad matched, and saving the pair that survived for backups. I've heard nothing in this regard concerning ANY MESA BOOGIE PRODUCT, but a lot of other el84 amps tend to run the power tubes pretty hard. Just what I heard.

Get a matched set for sure...I just ordered a set of JJ Tubes from Eurotubes...

The JJ's cound really nice in the amp. I have the LSS 112 combo and just retubed the whole amp with JJ's. I went with a matched quad of Groove Tubes EL84S (which are in fact JJ's) with a 4 hardness. The local GC had them and was good to me on price, otherwise I would have ordered from Eurotubes.

I put high gain ECC83s' in V1, V2, regulars in V3, V4, and a matched PI in V5. Made a world of improvement from my perspective. Mesa had "gray" tubes in there, which I think break up a little later than the GT 4's I put in. The darker pre-amp color of the JJ's took some of the high-end down a bit and I think the amp sounds better. YMMV.

As for the warranty, it's 5 year transferable, so it has to still be under warranty.

Back