New Tubes coming!!! (and Yellow Jacket question)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubescreamer

Reaction score
A couple days ago I ordered a new bunch of tubes for my '97 tremoverb, as follows -

V1 - Tung-Sol Reissue 12AX7
V2 & V3 - Sovtek 12AX7-LPS
V4 & V5 - Existing Mesa SPAX-7
V6 - Shuguang 12AX7 9th Generation, Balanced

For the power tubes, I bought a pair of JJ EL34L to test out, to see if I prefer it over the still fairly new Mesa 6L6 tubes running at the moment.

Anyways, I noticed a forum member (platypus?) loving the combination of 2 EL34L's and two THD yellowjackets running EL84's for that VOXy chime. I had a chance to play an AC-30 over the summer and loved it, so this appeals to me.

Those who run this setup, can you let me know more about it? And there seems to be a bunch of different yellow jacket options, so which ones are the ones I want?

Hmmm, I just found that Groove Tubes makes a yellow jacket clone called power reducers... Any differences?

I liked mine in the DR, really gave something back to the cleans in the amp but also had that midrange punch of the EL34s. I think the biggest difference was channel 2.

just dont go thinking that you're going to make your DR sound like an AC-30

scotbot said:
just dont go thinking that you're going to make your DR sound like an AC-30

Didn't think so- just that it would add something back to the cleans, like Platypus said

Hey plat, how much did you pay for the yellow jackets + EL84's? Right now i'm seeing prices from $100-120... seems kinda steep to me...

I did the same thing back when I had my DC-10. Besides the yellow jackets, and the GT ones you can get some from Ruby Tubes called "Tone Bones". That is actually what I bought. I got mine for $50 a pair. I only bought one pair, and then put it in the low-power position, so when I switched from 100 to 60 watts it really switched from BOTH 6l6 and EL84's down to JUST the EL84's. I really liked that, because you could get really low wattage, almost like an AC-15.

just to let everyone know how these new tubes sound...

I'ts never sounded better! Its like an entirely new amp!

I'm going to try moving the sovtek lps to the v1 postion later, to see if it improves the sound anymore, but I dont think it could - as it sounded so good I was GASing for my own amp :lol:

Latest posts

Back