New tube set/fuse proble

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
Right i purchased a 2-channel Mesa Boogie Dual recto off ebay.
I dont know how old the tubes are, but im guessing as they werent lighting up i should try a new set of tubes.

As a tube amp owner i am a newb, but i have read up on most things.

Well, since I have got the amp i noticed that was lacking in volume. But yesterday the amp flickered and the fuse blew.
Would that have anything to do with the tubes?

For the tube set i was looking at the sets from Eurotubes.
Could anyone tell me what set I would be looking for, if i want a beautiful clean and a killer metal dist....
Suggestions would be much appreciated

(Tubes in the amp are 2x 5U4 GB and 4x 6l6 GC)

First make sure that your tube selector switch is in the 6L6 position. Then I would try to reseat all the tubes again. Your tubes may not be making good contact at the sockets. Come good contact cleaner wouldn't be a bad idea either. If your fuse blows again, then I would head towards new tubes. If the problem persists then it is time to take the amp in for service because it probably got bumped around in shipping. It may have loosened something up inside that is shorting. At least you will know that you have at least done what you could do as an end user before having to get it on a bench.

If you are new as a tube amp owner..You should take it to a good amp tech.. so you make sure the amp is ok.. and for a good orientation on what to do and not do with your amp.. 8)

Back