New Tube Lineup for DC-3, and Tone Stack Capacitor changes!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I put some different tubes in my DC-3 yesterday.

V1 JJ ECC83S (12AX7)
V2 Electro-Harmonix 12AX7
V3 JJ ECC83S
V4 JJ ECC83S (experimentied with the most silent JJ I had)
V5 Mesa 12AX7
V6 JJ ECC83

Power Tubes did not change: JJ EL84's.

Here is what I had in the amp before:

V1 Groove Tubes Mulard ReIssue 12AX7
V2 JJ ECC83s
V3 JJ ECC83s
V4 JAN GE 12AX7
V5 Mesa 12AX7
V6 JJ ECC83s (Matched by EuroTubes)

The GE started going michrophonic, which really bummed me out because my Clean Channel was almost as nice as my Blackfaced Pro Reverb. I started messing around with tubes and this is the combo that I came up with that I liked the most.

V4 is the most important one to me, since it is the 2nd & 3rd Gain stages for the Clean Channel. Since I own a few Vintage Fenders, I expect all of my amps to preform like they do in the Clean department. The DC-3 does not fail to impress.

The EH in V2 made the amp have tons more distortion in the Lead Channel. I always thought the amp had a great Vintage tone, but didn't realize there was a monster hiding in there. Without the Graphic EQ, I can now get into Recto territory just from this small change.

Changing the V6 Phase Inverter to an unballanced JJ created the most beautiful harmonics. I think that the ballanced PI made the amp sound way too much like a HiFi amp, and not at all like a guitar amp.

I still wasn't quite happy with the Clean channel, so I opened up the amp and took a look at the Tone Stack Capacitors for that channel.

I replaced the IC brand Polypropolene caps that Mesa used with some IC brand film capacitors (very similar to Mallory's), and the Ceramic Disk Treble cap with a Silver Mica cap.

WOW, what a difference this made in the response and tone of the amp. It gave the Clean channel a much more Vintage tone, not as "In your face."

These simple changes have changed my DC-3 from an amp that I really liked into an amp that I'll never sell.

That must have taken some real stones to accomplish, man. Glad you had the testicular fortitude to tweak the Boog to your satisfaction!

Let me ask you..regarding your change in v2 and the apparent gain of the lead channel. How would rate that tube's gain characteristics compared ro a stock Boogie 12ax7? And which exact EH tube did you use?

Thanks for the response. I love the DC3 in it's little short head package- great performance in an incredibley portable package..I now Rock a DC10 head and love this beast, as well! Hmmm, I might want to experiment with v2 also, but I wonder how big the difference could possibley be form what I have now.

Kindest Regards,

~F

The EH's are supposed to be the supreme tubes from the Sovtek factory.

I don't think that Mesa chooses their tubes based on Gain or Distortion. I think they choose the tubes that will last the longest.

I used a 12AX7 Electro Harmonix. It didn't have any other markings on it. I buy most of my tubes from CE Distribution (Antique Electronics), www.tubesandmore.com Bob @ Eurotubes is great too, but I buy in bulk for about $5 a JJ 12AX7 as compared to $10 each. They are untested, so I have to throw a few away, but the savings are too good to pass up.

As for the mods, it is a bit hard to drive with my legs closed. :D

I mod every amp I own. I have a $2500 Soldano that has too many mods to mention. I have a repair/mod shop that I work in on Sundays only right now (the day job pays too good to quit). This island seems to never run out of broken amps or amps that guys want to do just a little more than it does now.

When you're over here, if you want I can do the same to yours. It only takes about 30 minutes, but really opens up the Clean Channel.

I've also replaced some of the Ceramic Disk caps in the Lead channel with Silver Mica, this really adds some fullness and richness to the tone.

Thats awesome to hear man! Yeah when I was building *ender clones, I loved the way those little silver micas would add that sweet little sparkle up top. Ahhh, I do miss the sweet aroma of solder at midnight...

~F

Sorry, I forgot the Gain question. I think the EH's have more gain than the Mesa tubes. They do tend to sound buzzy in certain amps though. I don't really like them in the 1st Gain Stages of any amp, but they add some sizzle in later Gain Stages.

I wouldn't put them in a Fender amp, but any High Gain or Marshall type amp might benefit from them.

They only cost $10 or so from Antique Electronics, so it's an easy fix if it works for you.

In my DC-2, I'm running a High-Gain JJ set from Eurotubes. I originally bought them for my Mark IV, but I sold that amp. Since I only had 5 12AX7's, I used a Groove Tubes Mullard Re Issue in V1. This amp really rocks hard too, but is a bit noisy due to the High Gain tubes.

It also has JJ's for Power Tubes.

Cool, bro. I tend to like a sizzley sort of saturation anyway, so I might check them out. I really love these DC series amps. Thanks for putting in your .02uf, lol; I dig your posts.

~F

Back