New to this forum. Mark IV Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott K

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've been reading this forum for a while, and decided to join the family. I've got a Mark IV Widebody combo and was wondering the price of putting this in the form of a head. I'm sorry if it's been asked before. Does Mesa offer the cabinet for it? Also, would it be hard to go back and forth from head to combo with the chassis? (If I wanted to use the combo sometimes and head sometimes...)

Any pricing info would be awesome too.

Thanks

I don't know about pricing, but it probably would be at least $200 from Mesa. I have not seen any head cabinets recently on Ebay, but you might check there.

As far as ease of transfer, if you get the head with a fan and Reverb Tank already installed, then it is incredibly easy. I used to do this with mine.

The drawback for me was the fact that Mesa heads of this style have a hole in the bottom and the Reverb Tank actually sticks out a bit.

I used to have my Rectoverb sitting on top of my 2x12 THD cab, and my Mark IV head sitting on top of that so that my kids couldn't get to the knobs. It used to drive me nuts becuase I had to put books under the feet on the head so that the handle of the Rectoverb wouldn't hit the Reverb Tank. The amp would totter back and forth if I didn't do this.

Other than that, I didn't notice any real disadvantage to the head. I'm gradually becoming more of a combo guy and don't really care for heads that much. I need the convenience more than I need the lack of weight.

The Mark IV is a popular amp, you should get some more responses. Hope this helps.

A head shell for the Mark IV will cost you around $250 - $300 direct from Mesa. Yes, it's kind of expensive, but it's guaranteed to fit. I recently picked up a Mark IV short combo, and plan on purchasing a rack-mount kit for it, to do exactly the same thing. It’s not that difficult to do the transfer. You just have to take your time and be careful.

Thanks a lot guys for your reponses. I will check ebay for a few months. I may just go directly through Mesa to get a Hardwood/Wicker Cabinet in head form. Thanks again, and I'll be a regular poster here.

Scott

Latest posts

Back