New to Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vman4639

Reaction score
I've been playing a Peavy Classic 50 for a couple of years and generally like it, but it needs to be LOUD for me to get the tones I wanted.

Checking around, I really thought I wanted a Lonestar Special. I spent a few hours in a shop yesterday and tried really hard to like the LSS, but the sound did not work for me. It seemed like the sound came off the front of the speaker as opposed to the full speaker, and in a lot of positions it just seemed urgent. Most likely it was my inability to dial it in correctly, but either way it wasn't working for me.

I tried a LSC 212 and loved it. It's more relaxed and I feel like I have better control. It was on clearance as well - $1779

Once I got it home I really started to love the tone - it sounds great.

One question though, at certain tones I am getting a light rattle from the cabinet. It's less of a volume thing and more of a frequency thing - any thoughts?

Thanks - excited to be part of the family.

I have had rattles in every combo I owned. That said, I would recreate the rattle(hopefully at low volume) and get into the back and look/feel/hear for what it might be. Use your hand to muffle things until you can isolate the rattle. If you see a one screw sticking half way out of the chassis, that's supposed to be that way. There is a sticky on that in the modern amps section. Anyway, welcome to what many to believe to be the finest production vintage 6L6 amp for clean warm tone out there. AKA the "big blue pig" 100/50w. Although the original blue bronco tolex is becoming less common, the "pig" referring to the weight of the beast. :lol:

plan-x said:
That said, I would recreate the rattle(hopefully at low volume) and get into the back and look/feel/hear for what it might be. Use your hand to muffle things until you can isolate the rattle.

Yeah, I tried to do that but it was tough - I'm am waiting until a buddy can come over and help out. I'll play while he searches ;->

plan-x said:
If you see a one screw sticking half way out of the chassis, that's supposed to be that way. There is a sticky on that in the modern amps section.

Good advice - I'll read up on that.

plan-x said:
Anyway, welcome to what many to believe to be the finest production vintage 6L6 amp for clean warm tone out there. AKA the "big blue pig" 100/50w. Although the original blue bronco tolex is becoming less common, the "pig" referring to the weight of the beast. :lol:

Mine is black. So I guess it's a Big Black Pig - but yeah, it's real heavy - and I thought my Peavy Classic 50 was heavy - ****. Could use side handles.

Thanks!

Because of the weight issue a few of the guys around here have opted to convert their combo's to heads.

The rattle could possibly be caused by a tube or the little tin cover believe it or not. I don't use tin covers any longer. I now use the o-rings you can buy to supress noise. They seem to work very well. Tube noise is definitely more previlent in a combo, because the speaker is in the same cab.

Latest posts

Back