New Stiletto II and Stiletto I w/Hollywood Mod comparison

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackieTHEjokeman

Reaction score
Okay, I went to my guitar shop on friday to put a down payment on a Roadster head (yay! A different topic). I saw the new Stiletto II ACE sitting there. I thought now is my opportunity to see what the difference is between this and my Hollywood Mod Stiletto. I didn't compare the differences between the Channel 1's, just 2.

Stiletto II vs. HW Stiletto
CRUNCH: Stiletto II does have more of an authentic Brit sound to it. Sounds crunchier and more gainy. WINNER: Stiletto II

TITE GAIN: HW Stiletto sounds more of an early Marshall sound, which I like for Van Halen. Stiletto II sounds more modern/JCM. WINNER: depends on what you like, I like the early sound better for Van Halen.

FLUID DRIVE: Stiletto II sounds like a more enhanced version of the TITE GAIN. Sounds sonically the same, but with more focused gain. My HW Stiletto sounds like a cross between the Rectifier and a JCM800. WINNER: HW Stiletto.

These are my thoughts and opinions. I was glad that I could finally compare the two. I feel relieved that I actually like my HW Stiletto better than the series II. That doesn't mean it's not good, it still sounded really nice.

funny i still like my stiletto series 1 better then the series 2, havent found anybody with the hollywood mod, i live on the east coast and cant just cruise to the mesa store.. ah well

yeah pretty much, its like the added a dose of modern recto to the stilettos mix, which is kind of a shame, i totally under stand where people come from with the gain thing but i shuddered at the fact that the series 2 to me sounds like a jcm 900 or 2000... not my cup of tea really...

id really like to hear some clips of your hw mod version

lately though with my stiletto ive been leaving channel 2 on the fluid drive mode, i have a boss ge7 eq in the loop cutting a bit around the 800hz range, and a keely modded sd1 out front, this might sound like alot of stuff for a specific tone but hey randy rhoads, zakk wylde, brian may.. all the guys who play old school amps put stuff in front of the amps or in the loop.. and this amp is def. old school in character, anyway that tone sounds good, i play RHYTHM with the fluid drive mode on a series 1, some people might think it sounds crazy, but im thinking of recording some clips and posting them soon to show off the stellar abilities of the series 1!!!

:-D

ill get exact knob locations later when i go back to my studio[/img]

I just got the Stiletto Trident (series 1) last week and I love it. I must admit I was real paranoid after comming here and reading all the bad reviews about it but once I got it and tweaked on it it sounds great in all modes. I have only had it for a week today but I think its a great sounding amp.

Now mind you I bought mine used ($1400.00 for the head/4x12standard rectifier cab & covers shipped to my door) And it was made in May of 2004 so I am thinking it needs new tubes but so far I have been really happy with the sound. Seems to be built solid. (as were my other Boogies)

And as for drive, Mine rocks good and hard. Not as distorted as my BV120H head but still a real solid rocker.

Seems to me that people bought this amp expecting a new version of a dual rectifier and not what it is/was.

Kinda sad that Mesa has changed them now to be more on track with those.

jackieTHEjokeman said:
How do you like the FLUID DRIVE mode? Un-modded, that was the only unplayable mode I found. I think the mesa tech was drunk when he made mine.

i know everybody hates it, and honestly when i got the amp i was like oh ok thisw is just for solos, but when i got my keely sd1 i started to mess with it

heres the signal chain and settings.

keeley SD 1 star mod
level 5 oclock
drive 8 oclock
tone 11 oclock
less/more switch on (up)

Stiletto Deuce
Bold/Silicon Diode/100 watt/Fluid Drive channel 2
gain 1:30
treble 12 oclock
middle 12 oclock
bass 2 oclock
presence 2 oclock

boss ge7 in effects loop
slight cut in 800 hz slider
slight "smile" on rest of sliders

thats the approximate, and i really like that sound, ive been using the amp basically as a single channel amp, i have a volume pedal out front and i use that and turning the SD 1 on and off to get my cleans, and it cleans up well, i really like the tone.. its got a good crunch but the sustain is ridiculous, i wish my recto had sustain like this!

Well in the FLUID DRIVE mode mine gets LARGE but it can be tweaked with the EQ and sound really great. But I dont like to carry the settings from the Tite to the fluid drive because it can be a bit overwhelming.

I see where you are comming from if its just a sound you dont like..... and I keep mine in the tite gain mode 98% of the time because I can get all I am looking for there.

I tweaked with the preamp tubes a little (going to a little more) and get all the drive I need. And I am used to a over the top sizzle-fest kinda sound but the more I play this the more I like it.... makes me play better because you can actually HEAR the individual notes on this amp.

I had been BENT on getting the Carvin V3 and actually ordered one (then cancelled due to the so called customer service) and got my trident I found on-line and I am VERY happy I did.

songrider said:
Well in the FLUID DRIVE mode mine gets LARGE but it can be tweaked with the EQ and sound really great. But I dont like to carry the settings from the Tite to the fluid drive because it can be a bit overwhelming.

I see where you are comming from if its just a sound you dont like..... and I keep mine in the tite gain mode 98% of the time because I can get all I am looking for there.

I tweaked with the preamp tubes a little (going to a little more) and get all the drive I need. And I am used to a over the top sizzle-fest kinda sound but the more I play this the more I like it.... makes me play better because you can actually HEAR the individual notes on this amp.

I had been BENT on getting the Carvin V3 and actually ordered one (then cancelled due to the so called customer service) and got my trident I found on-line and I am VERY happy I did.

yeah you cant just aimlessly flip through the modes cuz the eq changes big time, at least between anything and fluid drive

I have a ECC803 JJ in the V-1 and ECC83's in the rest for the moment. The 803's are a longer plate tube and run a bit hotter & brighter than the 83's.

But the ultimate plan is to put 3 Electro Harmonix EH5U4GB's in the rectifers & 6 JJ E34L's for power and then I want to try 2 tung-sol's in the V-1 and V-2 and then the rest JJECC83s

Hopefully by next week I can have this done.

songrider said:
I have a ECC803 JJ in the V-1 and ECC83's in the rest for the moment. The 803's are a longer plate tube and run a bit hotter & brighter than the 83's.

But the ultimate plan is to put 3 Electro Harmonix EH5U4GB's in the rectifers & 6 JJ E34L's for power and then I want to try 2 tung-sol's in the V-1 and V-2 and then the rest JJECC83s

Hopefully by next week I can have this done.

cool, i thought the long plates were less gainey then short plates? from my experience thats what ive found, plus they go microphonic quickly, but dude i highly suggest the tung sols, i have one in v1 in my dual rec. and it made a big difference, in there im all stock except a tung sol in v1 and a spax7 from mesa in v2

Latest posts

Back