New Roadster or Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarnine

Reaction score
HI everyone,
I currently am a triple rec (3ch.)owner. I had the pleasure of test driving a roadster head and a mark IV. the other day at my local music store. I have to say that i like both of them, but what motivated me to even start looking for a new amp is the weak clean chan. on my triple rec and the fizzy/muddy high gain modern sound. The roadster definitely has some nice options:switchable power section 50/100, footswitchable tuner out, reverb and an improved clean chan over the other recto models.
The Mark IV offered plenty of headroom on the clean, had tighter rhythm channel and a lead chan that blew me away "very liquidy" . They are BOTH great amps. I am currently in a 5pc "metal" band- and need to keep up/complement with another guitarists boutique high gain amps-bogner, diezel,vht etc. , have plenty of clean headroom on the layered breaks, and i'm seeking a tighter/defined ryhthm sound.but still need the versatility to play other styles, blues,classic-alt rock. I know it's up to "my ears" but let me hear some opinions, maybe from those who have also played both.....

I would go for the Roadster. It is the latest Modern offering from Boogie. It does it all.

But the Mark IV is tested, and stands true. .. take a chance I say, buy a roadster. I did .. and I am still waiting, and waiting .... and waiting. :)

I can't give a completely subjective opinion because I havn't spent enough quality time playing a Mark IV (and I have a Roadster on order :D ), but I would go for the Roadster. The Mark IV is certainly not a one trick pony, but you can't beat the versitility of the Roadster. The built in 5-band EQ is a great option on the Mark IV though.

xscottx9 said:
buy a roadster. I did .. and I am still waiting, and waiting .... and waiting. :)

xscottx9, did you order a Roadster and how long have you been waiting? I ordered mine in early July and am trying to gauge how long I'll be waiting for it.

get both. or the roadster and a mark iii! ok, but seriously, it sounds like the mark iv might fit you best.

For your style of playing (tight bottom end) I would suggest getting a Mark IV. Mainly because the Rectifier series just can't get the same tightness as the Mark series can. Not that that's a good or bad thing, but it's just the way it is.

I've said it once and I'll say it again though, if you can get a Mark IV with a Roadster/Recto, prepare yourself for world domination, because those two amps sound orgasmical together. There's the tightness of the Mark IV with the huge, crushing sound of the Rectifier.

Thanks everyone for the input/advice....... Last night i came home with a new Mark IV-B medium head. I fired it up today and i'm in love......I think i may have found "the grail" for me. Plenty of headroom on the clean channel, clear, crisp, tight rhythm chan and an amazingly "liquid" lead channel. -should have bought this head a longtime ago.

you made a good choice...
i've had my mark iv since '99 and haven't really needed or wanted another amp since, it is so versatile. i'm still getting new sounds out of it

If you have the option, and want to do the analysis, I would suggest your band decide what pair of amps between both guitarists sound best together rather than each of you having your personal preferences and hoping they sound best together. IMO, this is what will be better for the music/band in the end versus the personal preference you have when you are playing alone. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but its the truth. May take some compromising from both of you.

EDIT: Oh I was too late... Maybe someone will find this info useful. Hope you enjoy your new amp.

I am as well..I am really considering trading in my dual rec to get one.CHOICES!!!AHHHH

JamesD said:
I am as well..I am really considering trading in my dual rec to get one.CHOICES!!!AHHHH

I had thought about that as well.. but I haven't really A/B'ed them enough to make that choice.

Me neither..lol..Closest Mesa shop is about 4+ hours from me and really don't want to drive that, but as well i dont want to make a wrong choice. Granted either way i probably wont be disapointed.

True, but I feel like I might miss some of the low end :\

Plus selling amps is such a pain in the *** if you want the money it deserves. I think I'll just get the short head when I get some spare cash :p

It's kind of funny, I've spent about a year trying to make my Dual sound like a MkIV and I've gotten rather close actually with EL34 tubes.. has the high gain attack part down.. now if only it had a good clean channel :roll:

Yeah. The clean channel is what kills me, I mean it's not unplayable but with no reverb or anything it just doesnt have the sparkle i want. I wonder with the oversized cab if that would make up for a little bass loss, or if you just ran the Mark IV with a 15",,I dunno...I am in your boat, i would really like to be able to keep my dual rec. and get one..Just gotta keep my eyes pealed.

I think they're different enough to warrant wanting to get both. If I ever see a MkIV head under 1k I'm all over it.

(**** credit cards :D )

Yup..**** credit cards, i tell myself im gonna work on getting out of debt but the G.A.S Kills me..lol

Latest posts

Back