New Mark IV in my future?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightypudge

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm heading to a local shop to test drive a new Mark IV head. I'm going to bring some sample settings from the manual as a starting point, just so I have a jumping point.

The reason for the potential switch (I currently use a Dual Rec) is because I crave a little more versatility and a better clean channel. My ideal amp would give me brilliant cleans for funk and country, driving crunch for 80's rock rhythm tones, and a modern searing lead tone that will melt faces.

So, am I looking in the right direction? Any input, tips, opinions on this amp are appreciated. I'm really looking forward to trying this baby out.

The Mark IV will easily do what you are asking in Channels 1 and 2. You may need a pedal to really get the "Melt Your face" tone you want from channel 3. I have a Road King and a Mark IV and the Mark IV will not get as much of that searing tone you talk about.

In order to get a Mark IV to do the "Santana" type tone you will need the gain and drive both almost to 10. It gets very noisy doing this though.

The RK is so quiet in comparison all gained out.

I still love my Mark IV though.

brianf

Well, I have a pedal that I currently use to coax a little more gain out of my Dual Rec. I prefer to set the gain on my Dual Rec at about 1 - 2 o'clock so I use the pedal to add a little "hair" to the tone. I'm sure I can use this pedal in front of the Mark IV as well.

But many of the reviews I read on the Mark IV give me the impression that the Lead channel has enough gain already. I guess tomorrow I'll know for sure.

Thanks Brian!

mightypudge said:
. I guess tomorrow I'll know for sure.

Thanks Brian!

Exactly. Take your pedal with you. Humbuckers will of course get you closer.

Keep flicking the Harmonics/Mid Gain switch in and out and keep pulling the Presence in and out. It will really change the dynamics.

This is the Tweakers amp of all tweakers amps :lol:

brianf

brianf said:
mightypudge said:
. I guess tomorrow I'll know for sure.

Thanks Brian!

Exactly. Take your pedal with you. Humbuckers will of course get you closer.

Keep flicking the Harmonics/Mid Gain switch in and out and keep pulling the Presence in and out. It will really change the dynamics.

This is the Tweakers amp of all tweakers amps :lol:

brianf

Don't forget to Pull Fat, Tritode, and Simul-Class (or class A if you want more warmth for less headroom)
Pull Bright at lower volumes to get a bit of a gain boost.
And don't forget to use that EQ!

Finally, be sure to be able to crank the output to at least 3 with your masters set at around 4, 3, and 3 respectively- otherwise you won't get much gain.

Thanks guys. I'm bringing the sample settings from the users manual so I should be in good shape with the controls. I'm also going to bring my pedal to see how the amp responds. I already know my Dual Rec loves this pedal, so I'm hoping the Mark IV does as well.

brianf said:
What pedal? How did it go? Do you post on B&M?

Nosey arn't I :lol:

brianf

The pedal is a Digitech Bad Monkey. Best $40 I ever spent, and that is the new price. Really a great little pedal, very transparent and crisp. No annoying mid hump like the average tube screamer.

Well, I came home with the Mark IV. It was too good to pass up. I need to spend some quality time with this amp before posting an official tone report. As you mentioned, it's truly a tweaker's amp. Although the shop was nice enough to let me get the amp cooking to test it out, I really want to bring it to band rehearsal and really dial in my settings at full volume and with other musicians playing.

Let the honeymoon begin!

Sweeet!! Congratulations, Andrew!

I'd love to check out a Mark IV sometime because I fully respect the tone that Pete Loeffler gets out of them.

Awaiting the tone report . . .

Back