New Eurotubes for my Rectoverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrm

Reaction score
Hey guys:

I am now looking to retube my mesa for the first time. I've heard good things about Eurotubes, and since they are rather affordable, I'm looking to give 'em a try! However, I don't know a thing about tubes.

Talking to Jay over at Eurotubes has been incredible informative. I've been playing with the stock 6L6 tubes in there and am considering keeping that configuration. However, has anyone retubed their rectoverbs with the E34L or EL34? What's the main differences!

Any advice? Thanks!

-jon-

I was actually thinking of retubing my Rectoverb in the next couple of weeks with JJ's from Eurotubes. I retubed my Dual Rec with a set of JJ's several months ago from Eurotubes and have been very pleased with the results.

I have tried EL34's in my ROV but still prefer the 6L6's. I felt like the clean channel sounded a little too brittle and harsh with the EL34's. With channel 2, the EL34's sounded good but lacked the low-end thickness, crunch, and warmth that I like with the 6L6's.

It's personal preferance though. I'm sure that there are plenty of people that prefer EL34's. If you have the chance to experiment, I would try them both.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

I have the E34L's in my ROV. It gives it a tremendous bite for leads when turned up. My only comparison was against old 6L6's from the previous owner so I can't comment on the difference between the 2. I'll be getting a set of the 6L6's soon so I can make a direct comparison. I will admit I don't totally love the clean channel with the 34's.

G.I.G. said:
I was actually thinking of retubing my Rectoverb in the next couple of weeks with JJ's from Eurotubes. I retubed my Dual Rec with a set of JJ's several months ago from Eurotubes and have been very pleased with the results.

I have tried EL34's in my ROV but still prefer the 6L6's. I felt like the clean channel sounded a little too brittle and harsh with the EL34's. With channel 2, the EL34's sounded good but lacked the low-end thickness, crunch, and warmth that I like with the 6L6's.

It's personal preferance though. I'm sure that there are plenty of people that prefer EL34's. If you have the chance to experiment, I would try them both.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it turns out.

The 6L6 will probably have the 'sweetest' clean sounds, I tend to prefer them for clean tones but since I mostly use my Mesa for Channel 2 and 3, I like the crunch and distortion of the EL34L more. It has a satisfying bite to it that I can't get with a 6L6. It does lose the '6L6' thump that makes the rectifier famous but it's not gone, just different. It certainly won't have the low end of a 6L6. The L model EL34 is even better because it has a much more pronounced low section.

It really just depends on the type of player you are and the sound you're going for.

Anyway those are some differences I've noticed personally with my dual rec, your mileage may vary.

Cool. Thanks youg guys.

I'm goign for jsut a great rock tone (how much more ambiguous can I get right?) I play Christian rock, so I generally like to find that spot where I can be just on the edge of breakup and then work it with my volume knob to get what I need. I don't really go for the really heavy, uber distortion though. But I don't keep it sparkly clean very much either. I jsut like some nice breakup.

I guess my concern is, I know that EL34 seem to have a pronounced mid emphasis. I use TS9's for my distortions and since those are already pretty mid heavy I want to be sure I can keep a balance. Thoughts?

-jon-

jrm said:
Cool. Thanks youg guys.

I'm goign for jsut a great rock tone (how much more ambiguous can I get right?) I play Christian rock, so I generally like to find that spot where I can be just on the edge of breakup and then work it with my volume knob to get what I need. I don't really go for the really heavy, uber distortion though. But I don't keep it sparkly clean very much either. I jsut like some nice breakup.

I guess my concern is, I know that EL34 seem to have a pronounced mid emphasis. I use TS9's for my distortions and since those are already pretty mid heavy I want to be sure I can keep a balance. Thoughts?

-jon-

I used a TS9 for a few months in front of my EL34L powered DR however my bridge pickup has a pretty decent midscoop to its tone so that could be the clincher right there. You can play with the EQ to make the midboost on the TS9 less harsh.. I usually ran the gain pretty low and the volume higher with the tone a bit above noon.. the EL34 power section is a slightly darker british tone so I find the tone boost helps a bit with that.

I think the 6L6 is a more well rounded tone and might be what you're after.

Latest posts

Back